S2a into 90 defender?

richb

Hi all,

I have a tax free S2a and i want to make it a more effective offroader and more drivable on the road.

This means coiling it as a minimum i believe.

I want to make a 90 hybrid but want to keep the tax free status.

I know the vehicle reg is linked to the chassis first and foremost so if i where to transfer the chassis number to a new galvenised 90 chassis (Mine is like a teabag anyhow) this will surely take the coil springs and retain tax free status?

I would retain the engine (V8) gearbox and axles (plus other parts as and where needed)

Somehow i doubt its that simple as i know you get nowt for nowt.

Any information that can be shared would be great. I have been looking into it for a while but get nowhere fast.

Cheers

just swap the plates to a 90 and live in hope you never get stoped :ph34r::ph34r:

That's as legal as any of the other options, in fact probably more so as at least you're not driving a hacked together bitsa, just driving on dodgy plates.

I'll echo the previous answers: There is no point coiling a series these days, you can just buy a 90. It's certainly not worth saving £180 per year at the risk your car will be taken off you or you have a crash and get sued for not being insured (which you won't be driving a ringer).

Y'know, i've always thought; the best way to improve off road performance? improve the DRIVER! you can give a complete numpty a challenge truck on 37"s and he'll more than likely get stuck, give a seasoned off road driver a series one and he'll get pretty much anywhere!

i reckon though that this is more to do with not paying tax than off road performance, just pay the 180 quid like we all have to! :rolleyes: