Stonehenge byways in peril

GBMUD

Thanks for this info Chris, I have objected online.

Im not sure what good we will achieve, but sitting back and doing nothing will achieve nothing. Something I have been guilty of as will have many others on here and we will lose all our access to these ancient roads if we dont act.

Neil

Does anyone know the history of the lanes? I know the stones themselves are ancient, but if the lanes are as old or older then surely they are as deserving of preservation as the stones. It would seem daft to go to all the effort of improving the site only to remove an integral part of the area's history.

Does anyone know the history of the lanes? I know the stones themselves are ancient, but if the lanes are as old or older then surely they are as deserving of preservation as the stones. It would seem daft to go to all the effort of improving the site only to remove an integral part of the area's history.

Good point for an objection FF, has anyone done a study of why the lanes are where they are and what bearing do they have on Stonehenge.

I remember being able to run and climb all over it, and the Parthenon in Athens for that matter. Holds little interest if you can't touch/feel it, bit like lanes really, no use if you can't drive them!

John

Quite so FF. My objection is below:

It is ridiculous to suggest that preventing use of the BOATs in the area by a few recreational vehicles will 'improve the amenity of the area' when the already busy and often congested A303 continues to run by the site and, under the proposed plan, will be made busier still by closure of the A344 and the associated re-routing of traffic.

It should be remembered that as well as Stonehenge having historical significance, so do the ancient and historic byways of the area.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...