Instrument Cowl - MTC 2808. Do You Want One?

Replacement instrument cowl  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a replacement

• yes dependant on final price

Further to starting this thread:

Replacing Cracked plastic brackets which hold the instrument panel

I finally managed to undo the Instrument Cowl - an original flimsy partand looked at the options of replacing it. Over the years (mine's a1992 reg 200 Tdi Defender 90) the plastic has become brittle and withthe opening / closing of the screws on the heater fan switch panel, thehot / cold air switch panel, and the dash instrument panel itself, minehas cracked severely on various sides.

After having super glued it a few times and not really succeeding, I looked at my options in the following order:

1. Try super gluing it again - (keep having the hassle!)

2. Get an original LR part (costs about £40 plus delivery) - (and possibly replace it again in a few years)

3. Get one from a guy who fabricates them in the USA (I think we still have phenomenal engineering skills in the UK - we didi supply some of the parts for the Hubble telescope apparently!)

4. Fabricate one myself - (which would have turned out CR*P) anyway, due to the lugs and bends needed OR

5. Ask someone to make it for me.... (esp. if its made in the UK and by someone who produces high quality fabrications)... and who may well be a LR enthusiast

So having considered the Raptor Engineering dash console and lookingto get one I asked Raptor if they would make me a Cowl as well.

Well, this is the response from Phil at Raptor Eng (before anyone asks let me clarify that I am not affiliated to Raptor Eng or Phil in any way and only spoken to him on the phonetwice in my life):

Yes - it will not be a problem to fabricate the Cowl. However, it'sonly worth his while if there are other people who also require it.

So... here's my question - are other people interested in it? Apparently it will be far superior in quality to the original item anda fair bit cheaper.

I don't know if or how to put a POLL on this site but people can contact Phil directly at:

http://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact

I have posted some pics to show what I mean about the cracked plastics on mine.

post-20078-125815775068_thumb.jpg

post-20078-125815775949_thumb.jpg

post-20078-125815776572_thumb.jpg