Wading Kit ?

How deep do you intend to go?

If you have the factory breathers in place, and fit the required timing case/bellhousing plugs, you'll be fine up to the standard wading depth.

It looks like that seller is listing the modified timing case inspection cover as a bellhousing cover, which is a little worrying.

Personally, I think using air-line push-fit fittings is a better idea, they are easier to work with, and repair/modify. Buying a length of hose and the correct fittings will be about the same price, if not less, too.

no need for big expensive kits,

all you need is the wading plug for the bottom of the timing case & clutch bell housing, if they are not in the vehicles tool roll or cibbybox, you need 2 x ERC7295

don't go any deeper than 0.5 meter [20 inches] normal just below the top of the wheel rim [not top of tyre]

Tool roll. LOL...not even got a wheel brace or jack. :o

I think the standard breathers are missing as the loops aren't in the engine bay so i was trying to sort that in the process.

So fitting a front a rear axel kit (either standard or raised), along with the plugs should do the job up to standard depth ?

Steep learning curve for me. This the first mechanical thing i've attemped now my leaks are (almost) sorted.

Thanks

Front axle is there and damaged. Not raising at all. Its frayed/cut off on the "arm" that lead from the front left wheel back to the chassis. Sorry i don't know what thats called (yet). Radius Arm???

Rear axle is present and correct.

I can see one other behind the engine. Need to check which it is and look for other.

Both Timing Cover and Flywheel housing have a hole for the plug. (no plug to hand at the moment)

Whats the part for the front Axle breather? I'll replace it and order two plugs.

Whats the part for the front Axle breather? I'll replace it and order two plugs.

FTC2175 should do, while I've got the book open, but some 1/8 bsp to 6mm pnuematic pipe fittings a a couple of metres of 6mm OD nylon pipe will do just as well ;) You could also use the leftovers to bring the rear axle breather out under the bonnet.

A roll (20m at a guess) of 6mm OD push-fit hose and a handful of 1/8" bspt to 6mm push fit connectors will allow you to run brand new breathers for the whole vehicle. The transfer case and gearbox are easily accessible if you lift the transmission tunnel.

^^^ This. Use the search button and you may even find a guide to fitting it, this has been done to death many times before.

Thanks FF, I've seen the fitting guide many times on here. Know what i'm doing for the axle ones. I was just questioning if the kit in the link was OK and if not, what to buy. The rave disk told me where to look for the plugs (holes) so i know where to stick them :lol:

I got the two plugs as recommended (ordered) and also got a front axle replacement FTC2177 (ordered) as this (should be) is the one for my year. Thanks for the pointer errol and Western (as always, as i sometimes forget!)

I'll get properly raised ones later when i know more. Its only £10 for the plugs and front axle part so it will make me happier splashing round on Sunday. Not too deep though. Over my wellies and its game over.

I'm just about to place an order for another £90 worth of bits, screws, seals, rubbers, wipers, fir trees, lock nuts, trim bits, washers, bolts and so on.........once thats done my job is over and the garge can do the rest.

Thanks for the help guys. That should be it for now. :)

Its always the standard rear axle one that worries me. I'm sure thats less than half a metre up from the ground. Ok perhaps if you are moveing, but if you have to stop wont it become submerged?

My worry exactly, which is why I've moved it.

I recently did my axle breathers.

Front Axle, I ran it along the axle (90° 1/8" BSPT fitting) to the nearside radius arm, then along the inside of that (just in case the tyre gets a bit freaky with the arm) until it meets the chassis. It then goes almost back on itself and runs forwards along the top of the chassis rail before coming up behind (but well clear of) the exhaust downpipe/turbo.

Rear axle, runs along the axle as before, then up one of the A-frame arms and along the chassis rail before coming up in the same place in the engine bay.

All four breathers (front axle, rear axle, gearbox and transfer box) now terminate behind the cylinder head at the rear of the engine bay. For now they've been left there....if I'm that deep in water I have other issues to worry about. Sometime I may re-do the gearbox/transfer box breathers and then extend them all up the snorkel/roll cage etc.