Whtas the diffence Stage 1 axle ???

Boothy

Good mate of mine has asked me a question I couldn't answer and it is,

"What is the difference with a Stage 1 V8 front axle", and I suppose the rear, I think it has CV's as oppose to UJ's which enables permanent 4WD i.e. LT77 proof,

can any kind knowledgable soul put us right please ?????

Thanks boys.

Boothy smile.gif

The Stage-1 front axle has as you guessed got CV joints unlike the other series axles which have u/j's,apart from that they also have the spring mounts moved so the diff pinion sits higher due to the RR 4-speed box being closer(they also used double-carden front props as standard).

Hope this helps

"What is the difference with a Stage 1 V8 front axle", and I suppose the rear, I think it has CV's as oppose to UJ's which enables permanent 4WD i.e. LT77 proof,

Thanks boys.

Boothy smile.gif

Series width but RRC parts except brakes.

Actually these are a way to put discs on the front of a Series. use the Stage 1 axle but RRC hub, swivels and discs etc.

Trouble is the halfshafts are expensive to replace.

If as mentioned on another thread, Rakeway are going to offer narrowable halfshafts for RRC then they could be used making the axle stronger and the cheap CV the weak bit.

Marc.

Thanks boys.

Boothy smile.gif

Hi Boothy.

I can try to explain as good as I can from what I know.

You are right about the CV's it also has lager brakes, drums are the largest you can get on a series vehicle same diameter as 109" but wider in fact they are as on the 6cyl series 109"'s.

The axle housing is tilted so the pinion is pointing slight upwards towards the gearbox flange where you bolt the prop on thats why a stg 1 uses a special front prop with double joints at the gearbox.

Apart from that there are numerous smaller differences wich i guess is a bit to anoracish ( wish my speling was far better)

Kind regards

Ole

Ps It is a great misconception that one has to have CV's to run constant 4WD,it just makes it a bit more comfy thats all,nothing technical, the center diff however is a must have to run constant 4WD.

Series width but RRC parts except brakes.

Actually these are a way to put discs on the front of a Series. use the Stage 1 axle but RRC hub, swivels and discs etc.

Trouble is the halfshafts are expensive to replace.

If as mentioned on another thread, Rakeway are going to offer narrowable halfshafts for RRC then they could be used making the axle stronger and the cheap CV the weak bit.

Marc.

Hi Marc

Are you shure that the cv's are RRC, as far as I know they are not the same the CV it self is similar but the length off the axle that goes out to the drive flange is off another length as far as I know.

Kind regards

Ole

Hi Marc

Are you shure that the cv's are RRC, as far as I know they are not the same the CV it self is similar but the length off the axle that goes out to the drive flange is off another length as far as I know.

Kind regards

Ole

Cv's are simmilar to early 110, 23 spline and 24 at the stub, the stub shaft is a few mm longer, i did a comparason of both cv's just in case i blow one up, so a 110 cv will fit a stage one axle but you will have to machine the drive flange slightly.

Actually these are a way to put discs on the front of a Series. use the Stage 1 axle but RRC hub, swivels and discs etc

I doubt that it is the case, the swivel housing itself runs railko bushes on top unlike the early rangies which run bearings, i also think the outer swivel housing will not fit on the stage one ball. Even if it did you will end up with the usual problem that the track rod will want to sit instead of the springs, like coiler axles on leafs.

The hub is the only thing that will fit from a rangie, and again you will have problems with drive flanges, disc placement and caliper brackets. I know certain details as i tried many things to get discs until i settled for what i run now. It can be done with some creativity in the brackets department and using different calipers and discs.

G