What do you think of these???

landrovermanuk

I found this sump heater, I would add a second battery and split charger and could even leave it plugged into the mains overnight via an intelligent charger and just use the battery for those really cold days when it's been left overnight in the car park at work....Any input/ advice is very welcome...

Or go for a water heater. I do short journeys at 4am so would like to have a hot engine and not just a hot cab.

PS Any one got an idea of the price of the uprated heater fan/ matrix from the Netherland(?)about 3/4 of the way down this page

Thanks John...

20 amps is a word. Even with a second battery you couldn't leave it on for long.

With a 75Ah battery I would say approx 2hrs before you would do damage to the battery. A deep cycle battery would be better, but still all the power will have to be charged back over the day.

Probably you would do better with a used diesel heater like a Webasto.

That looks like a standard electric heating pad, sure I've seen RS/Farnell selling those. I'm not sure you're going to get a massive boost from that trying to warm your whole lump up, compared to the output from a diesel-fired Eberspacher/Webasto water or air heater. For comparison, hold a 500W floodlight under your sump with the engine cold & switched off and see how long it takes for your the lump to warm up.

The problem that I can see with that heater as nice as it is, is that it looks like it draws its air from under the bonnet and the way it controls the temperature is to shut off the water flow. This is no good on a 2.5D TD or 200tdi as these engines use the heater as the bypass during warm-up.

Mark

Thanks for your replies....First off sorry about the links...I did them in a rush before going out.

I knew some one would come along and confirm my fears about the battery life...and point out how long it would take to warm the engine up.... I thought I would end up going for a water heater, was just hoping a cheaper solution might come up. Re the heater up grade I think I've seen a much improved matrix that fits the original heater box, but I can't remember where. I don't know if the one in the link could be adapted to take air from the wing intake. My 90 has the 3.9 efi lump fitted so not sure how the heating system differs from the Tdi... Cheers John.

On another swing on the heating the engine block. There is a company in america :huh: who sell a product called PowerBlankets. Which by placing over the engine bay heat up after a short period of time. Is there or was there a company over here in blighty have a similar setup for car engine bay. ;):unsure::blink: I have just making inquiries for the sump heater at the moment from the manufacturer. They mentioned different sizes on there website blurb.

Just get a 220V block heater, obvious limitations, or a Webasto/ Eberspacher.

The latter are expensive, but once you've used one you'll find it worth every

penny. :D

Can't do without them here in the winter with diseasel engines. All new LR's come

fitted with them here

hi

i looked in to all options when i thought i was moving somewhere cold but couldnt stay for long enough find out sad.gif.

block heaters are by far the best ones to use they will heat the system far and quicker than any webasto or eber, altho i would fit a pump to slowly circulate the coolant while the engine is off. you can make these your self but am unsure how.

webasto or eber will be fine to be used away from home or all the time if its cold out to keep at correct temp but will struggle if it gets really cold out to heat the engine fully from cold

the best option if for a colant heater would be out of the old style merc sprinters (as far as i know they all have them there but some are wired up differently) dont forget to get as much as you can off the merc, they also have a colant pump etc in the engine bay

dave

hi

i looked in to all options when i thought i was moving somewhere cold but couldnt stay for long enough find out sad.gif.

block heaters are by far the best ones to use they will heat the system far and quicker than any webasto or eber, altho i would fit a pump to slowly circulate the coolant while the engine is off. you can make these your self but am unsure how.

webasto or eber will be fine to be used away from home or all the time if its cold out to keep at correct temp but will struggle if it gets really cold out to heat the engine fully from cold

the best option if for a colant heater would be out of the old style merc sprinters (as far as i know they all have them there but some are wired up differently) dont forget to get as much as you can off the merc, they also have a colant pump etc in the engine bay

dave

:blink:

In my experience Eber. or Webasto have no problems, even in subzero temps.

They only start suffering when it gets so cold that your vehicle battery is also suffering.

They are by far the best option, and I used mine all year round. In the summer I

just had the heater set to cold air, so that it would blow in ambient air. Usefull

if the car has been standing in the sun all day.