WHAT TEMP SHOULD MY 200 RUN AT?

HELLO AFTER INFO i have a 90 running a 200 disco lump in .. i didnt bother messing with the old temp gauge i installed a aftetmarket one . miles better well i now its cold out but the temp never gets above 60c when on the road. Does this mean my thermostat is stuck open or there isnt one at all shouldnt it run at about 85c for the engine to be running at optinum effeciency. my oil pressure when warm is about 3.5bar. could any forom members tell me what temp theres run at that would be helpful thanks . the heaters are satisfactory not good but accectable

All Tdi engines both 200 and 300 have an 88 deg thermostat (as do many others - though some of the much older Series engines have lower temps like 74 and 82) so in theory it should run at around that temp. Tdis are slow to reach optimum running temp unless you are doing 40mph+, they take forever to warm up around town.

Change the thermostat, its cheap and though I have never done a 200, a 300 one takes no time at all so 200 is probably similar.

pretty normal in this weather, mines the same and there's been quite a few other posts recently on here and other forums asking the same.

my gauge hardly moves, some people remove the fan and/or use a rad muff in cold weather which helps a bit. if you want to check the state its a 5 min job, just remove the bolts on the housing and there it is

pretty normal in this weather, mines the same and there's been quite a few other posts recently on here and other forums asking the same.

my gauge hardly moves, some people remove the fan and/or use a rad muff in cold weather which helps a bit. if you want to check the state its a 5 min job, just remove the bolts on the housing and there it is

i havent got a vicious fan because it would clout the sterring box i will have a look at thermostat the problem is can you drain down the system on a tdi because i just put 13 quids worth in

completely normal in this weather, from my experience.

I've an electric fan, and a 7 mile commute to work at 40-60 mph. The engine barely gets warm, about a quarter of the scale, compared to just under half for normal running.

It'll only get warm on longer journeys, and then only if I keep moving, it soon cools down.

just undo the housing (4 bolts) its at the top of the engine so you will hardly lose any antifreeze, obviously do it when the engines cold. make sure the gasket looks ok before your replace it.

stick the state in a mug of hot water and see if it pops open..

Your thermostat is leaking. It should open at 88 and close at 83 C. If it does not run in that range, the thermostat is leaking. It was -35 C here last weak and there was no problem staying at 83 C.

If there is ANY heat in the upp rad hose before 83 C, the thermostat is leaking.

my trucks temp sits just under half and dosen't move from there but it dose check its time getting

there!! i have to do 10 miles to get to work and i get great heat after about 6 to 7 miles

and thats because i'm doing 55mph!!

don't u just love defender heating!!

dave :D

my old 200 disco never got warm at all during the winter, even after the 5 or so miles i did at 50-60 mph, there was hardly any warmth from the heater. i resorted to using the ever faithful gaffa tape to block the grille off, from the intercooler across, improved things to a more liveable state.

HELLO AFTER INFO i have a 90 running a 200 disco lump in .. i didnt bother messing with the old temp gauge i installed a aftetmarket one . miles better well i now its cold out but the temp never gets above 60c when on the road. Does this mean my thermostat is stuck open or there isnt one at all shouldnt it run at about 85c for the engine to be running at optinum effeciency. my oil pressure when warm is about 3.5bar. could any forom members tell me what temp theres run at that would be helpful thanks . the heaters are satisfactory not good but accectable

I have had the same issue with 60 degree running temp of my 200tdi (disco) engine in my 90. I fitted a Britpart (I know I know!) radiator muff using tie-wraps rather than the useless spring clips that were supplied and this helped get the temp back up to 90 degree again. I did though whip off the thermostat today and test it in hot water and it worked fine, but then bought a QH replacement one as it was all stripped down. I figured i'd test the new one as well and good job I did as it failed to open at all! took it back, filled in a form and re-fitted the much better quality orginal thermostat. Overall, get a muff for the winter :-)