spring question

i`m after some springs for my 90, its been sat down quite a bit at the nsf corner,

was thinking about going +2 inch to stop the tyres rubbing.

all the kits like the britpart one on paddocks seem to give a +2 inch lift by keeping the same length spring, but increasing the lb/inch rating - standard 90 fronts are 175lb/inch and the lift springs are between 200 - 230lb/in although the uncompressed lengths are the same

so it seems the "lift" actually comes from "less droop" of the stiffer spring, therefore they`ll give a harder ride???? which is not something i want...

i`ve been looking at this page: http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

and wondering if i can use springs that have a very similar rating to standard, but with an increased uncompressed length, thus having the same amount of bounce as standard, but higher cos of the extra length?? such as:

NTC8477

Disco w/ winch kit

Front

green/blue/yellow

for the front,

these are 3 inch longer, but only 3lb/inch stronger...

can anyone see any problems with my theory? also would the 55lb/in difference make a lot of difference?

I had springs and shocks replaced on mine (87 def 90)and have had the softer off road springs, with a 2" lift (its using DeCarbon shocks).

However, Im now about to change them again as I find the ride far too soft on the road, theyve only been on about 6 months and done about 200 miles but i just cannot get used to them being so soft. Im sure they are great off road, which is what i asked for (and never used for that as yet as i was doing other jobs on the car)but i just cant be doing with them on the road.....

try and drive one with the softer springs before you commit....it might just be me!!!

Neil.

As previously stated I want to swap my blue bearmach springs for something stiffer but the garage I use told me unless I pay for very expensive springs I cant get a 2" lift with stiff springs???

Can anyone confirm that?

Or does anybody know of a stiffer spring that gives the lift.

Maybe i should just revert to standard height but firmer.

For value, go for green stripe on the front and red/white stripe on the rear. Far better that the cheap aftermarket rubbish. If you want to spend some dosh, then OME seem to be the favouries.

Gives you a bit of lift, how much depends on how knackered your current springs are. If you want more lift, use spacer blocks (like the ones gwyn lewis sells).

For value, go for green stripe on the front and red/white stripe on the rear. Far better that the cheap aftermarket rubbish. If you want to spend some dosh, then OME seem to be the favouries.

Gives you a bit of lift, how much depends on how knackered your current springs are. If you want more lift, use spacer blocks (like the ones gwyn lewis sells).

Current springs are new....i just dont like the way the thing feels like a boat....think im gonna fall out the window on some bends and roundabouts!!

As previously stated I want to swap my blue bearmach springs for something stiffer but the garage I use told me unless I pay for very expensive springs I cant get a 2" lift with stiff springs???

Can anyone confirm that?

Or does anybody know of a stiffer spring that gives the lift.

Maybe i should just revert to standard height but firmer.

terrafirma do 2"+ HD springs

Andy

I would check the spring rates of the Bearmach springs you have. IIRC, their lift kits are usually made up of (relatively) short but very stiff spripgs to get the lift. The other lift kits generally have lower rated longer springs as they are more suited to off road use.

If that is the case then I am affraid your only option is to modify your driving style to one that suits a barge on roller skates!! laugh.gif

ok....ive spoken to Terrafirma and they say it just is like that once you raise the COG....

Also asked if I fitted castor correction radius arms........ :unsure::unsure:

What are they.....do i need to change them.....its all so technical....what kind of a dark world have I joined????

Im sure an answer will come....thanks all

Neil.

When you lift the suspension, you loose castor which effectively reduces the ability of the front wheels to self centre when exiting a corner.

Castor correction arms restore the castor, but bugger up the angle of your front prop thus needing a double cardon prop. (£££££)

For most people, a 2" lift doesn't compromise the castor sufficiently to cause problems so I wouldn't bother with the arms. In any event, you can fit the springs, see if you can live with the reduced castor and if not, then do something about it, which by the way you are better off doing with castor corrected swivels.

Does that help? :)

Yep....that helps.

So the theory is this, Im gonna try the existing springs but take of the roof rack, if i still feel like jonah inside his whale then Im going to replace the rear springs with 2" lift but heavy duty.

If that doesnt work I'll probably drop the 2" lift and replace all 4 with standard height HD springs.

Castor correction etc is not the way forward for me, Im never really going to need the lift that forces the CC issue.

thanks all

(my god its just one big learning curve isnt it.....does it ever stop????)

Neil

hi neil

as said dont think theres any need for castor correction

cheapest option and keep the lift would be replace with your original springs (if u stil got em) and get some 2inch spacers off ebay for about 30-40quid, and sell your springs to make up the cash..sorted

Right....

Ive gone with new terrafirma medium springs TF 023v for the rear, bit more height than standard but 25% firmer than the bearmach off road springs thatb I have on now, also going to have my roofrack off and see how it goes from there.

Also I bought a highlift jack today so I can do the springs myself....well it will help...(thats how i sold it to the good lady who is tolerating the Land Rover thing quite well at the moment!!!!!)

Just wondering.....is the look my wife gives me when I return with something Landy-ish.....universal?????

Neil.

Hilifts are bloody useful peices of kit but I agree with bishbosh on this one, not for this use! Do it the safe way, don't regret it!!!

If you are happy with the spring rate / stiffness of your original springs and want a small lift <2'' then the cheapest and most sensible option is spring spacers - £20-40 on flebay. Spend the money you save on shocks and shock mounts or a good night down the pub! lol ;)

we used hi lifts... tho that was as well as axle stands under the chassis. we just used them as one more support. although they did get in the way as we had about a mini's space to work, not a land rovers all because 'martifers' and their bloody 300 lightweight!

ps, dewie fixed, then matlida, then the project? or you gona put it off again?