What Landy would you build?

jjojjas

I'd build a 100" defender hard top..

Buy a mid-90's 300Tdi disco MOT failure (could be as little as (£600 these days)

A new galved 100" defender chassis (think Richards chassis do them for around £1200)

a stack of defender body panels from autojumbles, with a bit of cunning you could build a really good 300Tdi, 100" defender for around 4k...

We've got the 100" already for Challenges and general fun, but the current project is a re-build of my 1998 90 (which was previously re-built in 2002). Will be pretty much same as before - 3.9 Auto on LPG but with more fancy bits and bobs like air con, leccy windows etc. Got loads of bits off ebay - some real good bargains too!

In the future my 90 may get used for a bit of overland stuff, so have built it with possibility in mind of changing to diesel later. Won't have as much room for overland kit as a 110 but we are thinking about an off-road trailer or just travelling as light as possible - as long as there is room for essentials we'll manage!

Late eighties One-Ten CSW, put it on a new galvy chassis, whack in a low-mileage 300Tdi and kit out the interior proper nice with all the mod cons. Heated EVERYTHING, screen, mirrors, seats, nicely sound-proofed and generally just kitted out to be 'nice' inside.

That's my perfect Land Rover :)

Late eighties One-Ten CSW, put it on a new galvy chassis, whack in a low-mileage 300Tdi and kit out the interior proper nice with all the mod cons. Heated EVERYTHING, screen, mirrors, seats, nicely sound-proofed and generally just kitted out to be 'nice' inside.

That's my perfect Land Rover :)

I would go for an early 110, so lift up handles, sliding windows, galv cappings etc rebuilt on a galv chassis with a TD5 and autobox

Another thought is that if you're building something, you need to either start with something that's quite close (eg no point converting a leafer to coils when you can buy a coiler and just change some body panels for the look) or don't start with anything and just buy the right bits to start with to save throwing half a vehicle away.

This is EXACTLY what I did wrong. I originally bought a blue 88" truck cab leafer with a V8 and capstan winch...I ended up with a green hard top coiler on a galv'd 90 chassis with a 200Tdi and electric drum winch. I only used about 1% of the original vehicle and bought and sold tons of carp before I had a finished vehicle...

Just sit down, make a list of everything you think you want it to be, look like and/or do and go from there (this list WILL grow as you go).

Then make another list of how much you think it will cost and how long you think it will take. Then multiply those numbers by 2 at a minimum...more likely 3 or 4 if you want something really nice.

I'm not trying to scare you away...this is just how it is if you want to make your own truck. There is HUGE satisfaction though, driving down the road knowing you'll never see youself coming the other way!

Good luck!

Wouldn't be the easiest build, is quite unrealistic and would probably be a complete non starter but I think my ultimate land rover would be a 100 chassis of some form, TDV6, auto box and series 2 body... just makes me grin to think about it :i-m_so_happy:

Brian

There aren't enough days in the week to drive all the different LR permutations I would like to own :(

A 101 GS with Noken winch is high on the list, but with some creature comforts (in a 101 :lol: ) added, hence its relevance to this thread. Defender seats, a 4.6 on LPG, power steering, some big(ger) tyres. That's just what I can think of for now. It's been 10 years since I drove a 101, but I reckon the 101 bug bites even harder than the standard LR species. I WANT ONE.

More realistically though, the truck I currently drive has been a 14 years work-in-progress.

It's a 1986 factory V8 Ninety hard top. It now has a 3.9 (would like a 4.6) on LPG (soon to add MJ), auto box, decent sound system, lecky windows, central locking, on-board air, winch and big tyres, just to list a few. In fact there are so many mods I have done over the years that another truck really would just take too long to create.

However if I could change one thing, it would be to go 100", and I don't mean just move the axle back, I mean get more useable space inside without having a 110. 6.5" added to the WB and a little more rear overhang just to keep the proportions looking right would be really useful.

Realistically though the most likely thing I'll do is refurbish what I have. Right now it has 24 years worth of dents and scrapes, fortunately very little rot, and still has 100% original panels and paint. Maybe I'll celebrate it's 25th birthday and buy it a new wing :lol:

I'm currently spec'ing / costing / designing a 100" hybrid Defender, but to move the plot on a bit, based on a D3 IRS suspended chassis, with 110 SW body (5 doors) and powering the whole thing with a BMW 535d motor and autobox....... I think it will all fit together somehow!!