RANT: Why ME!

A Twig

It all started mid December, when parked in the small cul-de-sac, my defender got hit hard by a stolen car, who drove off when I came running out of the door at the sound of the alarm. A lot of denting to the driver's wing, damaged teh radiator grille and busted my Wipacs, and bent the bumper right back onto the tyre.

Police "never found the stolen vehicle". Given my insurance excess of £200 I bit the bullet and thought I can live with the wing, so ordered a new galv bumper and wipacs from Paddocks. Arrived on time, no complaints great. Set to work and after a few hours of swearing and a broken holding plate bracket fitted the new bumper so I could get back on the road. Decided that with the rain at the time I didn't want to get my soldering iron and hairdryer out so left the Wipacs and A-Bar indoors. Bought some plastic "motorsport mesh" from Halfords to replace the busted radiator grille. Few days later, went off on holiday.

Came back from holdiay just before Xmas, and the Landy's battery was dead. Called the AA out, who got it running again, but "I need a new battery". "Well" I thought, "MOT is coming up soon so it'll survive until then." Didn't reckon on the cold snap so went and bought a charger from Halfords. That worked fine and kept me going since. "Not so bad" I'm thinking to myself. I've got plans to sell the 90 this summer and upgrade to a 110/130 so I'll get the dents tarted up and a new battery and the lights wired up when it goes in for its MOT. It's had barely a nick, low mileage, solid chassis and bulkhead etc.

Today, I drove home through the snow, having a great time. My house is at the bottom of a 30' incline, from which you then turn onto a longer shallower hill to get up to the main road. I decided to park the Landy on the side of the road on the shallower hill in a marked parking bay, and walk down to my house as it's getting a bit icy.

Lo and behold, a car, WITHOUT A DRIVER, slides down the hill, pinballs off the wall on the other side of the road and into the other wing on my Landy, bending my new shiny bumper. Police get the address of the guy who owns it. We exchange insurance details. His car is buggered, will need new headlight, bumper, wing, grille, bonnet you name it. He'd parked further up the shallow hill, and despite it being icy had turned his wheels away from kerb and left his car in neutral. Insurance companies reckon that it was the weather and that NO-ONE IS TO BLAME so want to split the cost of ALL THE DAMAGE 50:50 between each party!!!!!

So I lose some no-claims and pay £200 excess for the privilege of having my car hit by soe prat who can't park safely.

NOT HAPPY!

Sorry, rant over. Just neededto get that off my chest :D

Sorry, just need to let it all out.

Absolutely absurd.

If it wasn't for the actions (or lack thereof) of the other driver in parking the other car, the accident wouldn't have occurred.

This is no different from a driver failing to give way at a junction - they didn't do something correctly, or were negligent, which lead to the collision. The fact that the vehicle was not technically being 'driven' at the time is immaterial IMHO.

Imagine if the skidding car had crashed into your home - would you expect your insurance to pay? How is this situation any different?

i was wondering how long this would take. When in times of lots of claims the companies do a silent deal. All claims 50:50. Its illegal in my book. Take em to court. This happens every time theres a increase in "seasonal" claims. Complete fcukers. I just hate insurance.

A strange thing happened. I remembered that the policeman who came to help get the car moved out of the road told me where the guy lived... :rtfm::ph34r:

Funnily enough I got a phone call shortly after from his insurance telling me that he'd admitted blame for everything, and that his insurance would pay for all repairs and even give me a Freelander to pootle around in while it's away. The hire company will even meet me at the garage with the hire car. "Is there anything else we can do for you sir? Terribly sorry about before..." :i-m_so_happy:

A strange thing happened. I remembered that the policeman who came to help get the car moved out of the road told me where the guy lived... :rtfm::ph34r:

Funnily enough I got a phone call shortly after from his insurance telling me that he'd admitted blame for everything, and that his insurance would pay for all repairs and even give me a Freelander to pootle around in while it's away. The hire company will even meet me at the garage with the hire car. "Is there anything else we can do for you sir? Terribly sorry about before..." :i-m_so_happy:

that's much better, when you get to collect your vehicle, make sure it has been repaired to your complete satisfaction, if not tell them to sort it out properly.

well thats foiled my plan then........

this had given me the idea......

if i was just about to impact another vehicle that had stopped infront of me i could jump out of my vehicle and let it pile in.....

there in i could get a 50;50 settlent as i was not driving it at the time of impact.... :lol:

glad yuo got the right result mate.... there could only be one right answer :)

.... I remembered that the policeman who came to help get the car moved out of the road told me where the guy lived...

That's interesting, a friend of mine had a wall damaged by a car, the police found the guy but would not give my mate his details because of the Data Protection Act.

Perhaps it was a copper who crashed into the wall :lol: