powerplus carb kits for 2.25 petrol s111.

kingdong2

Hi guys

my mate is thinking of fitting a powerplus carb kit from ACR automotive basicly to get away from the std zenith and weber carbs as they are very unreliable he has a recon'd 2.25 petrol engine fitted so was woundering if they are worth the money and are they worth fitting. the other alternative is to fit a di version of the tdi engine which is the way i would like him to go but he is on a tight budget of £1000 has anyone fitted one of these powerplus kits.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

What is wrong with the Weber carb then? I've always found them to be ok ?

Thats a lot of £££'s for an SU too...Has your friend got the Stage 2 head already? - its recommended on the ACR www

I recently fitted a brand new Zenith that a customer had got off Eblag (US) for under £50 incl the shipping.

Cheers

Steveb

What is wrong with the Weber carb then? I've always found them to be ok ?

Thats a lot of £££'s for an SU too...Has your friend got the Stage 2 head already? - its recommended on the ACR www

I recently fitted a brand new Zenith that a customer had got off Eblag (US) for under £50 incl the shipping.

Cheers

Steveb

Hi steve

he has had two zenith ( copied ) carbs on in the last two years when first fitted they where ok but after a wile they seem to give alsorts of probs we have also fitted weber carbs on as well and they don't seem to be much better but do think when running right the zeniths are miles better than a weber seem to give more power. the old zeniths where better you could but kits for them you can't buy them for the new ones just a new carb hence the reason i went tdi fed up with messing with carbs.

no he has the std 81 comp head fitted he just wants something more reliable.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Think I'd just fit a 200tdi and be done with it. Pick a disco lump up for a few hundred quid these days.

I wouldnt even entertain the idea of taking the turbo off - I just cannot see the point, or the benefit in removing it.

Jon

thats what i was trying to get my mate to do he is half set on fitting a di as he is on a very tight budget and between us we don't have much fabrication skills its the exhaust thats the prob for him as he can't buy a tdi engine parabolic springs + shockers and a steve parker exhaust as i did when i did mine.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

I imagine one would have to have the inlet manifold customised to house the injectors and what not?

Hmm, I might consider doing it once I have it up and running again. Would be a fun little project.

Edit: Although I've just realised you could use SPI and run a wet manifold for simplicity

Edited by Retroanaconda

You could go MegaSquirt & EDIS for £540, bring it into the 20th century :rolleyes:

And I agree with what Steve B said, really not a lot of point on the performance/£ side given how cheap a V8 or TDi conversion would be.

i remember a year / 18 months ago i saw an advert in one of the mags the powerplus kits where still £125 but now they are £540. i am going to see him in the week so will try and persuade him to go di or even tdi but the di would be easier and cheeper for him i think if we do go di is there any differance between 200di and 2.25 petrol as regaurds power.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Would you like a chocolate teapot to go with that Di conversion? :rolleyes:

i know what you mean tbh i would rather him to go tdi as i have done it myself and i think its a great conversion but for him to use the turbo properly he will also need to get the tdi rad intercooler but anyway i am going to see him in the week so see which way he wants to know.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Sorry for the slight off-topic-ness, but this EFI-ing a 2.25 business has got me thinking....

http://www.msruns.co...hp?f=92&t=22735

I'm so gonna try it, might try and do it SPI rather than using TBI though, more of a challenge ^_^

I too was quite taken with idea with MS plus EFi on my 2.5 petrol it was these pages that inspired me Otly 2.25 MS + EFI he even has a schematic for the Single point injection to 2.25 manifold adapter. Ther project seemed to die a death but nevertheless has some useful pointers.

TBH it's not a terribly complex business - you need a trigger wheel on the crank pulley, a sensor mount pointing at it, and some way of mounting an injector or four in the intake tract, and a way to tap the manifold vacuum off to the ECU. Somewhere to stick a coolant sensor and an air temp sensor and that's about it.

My cousin chopped the end off a 6cyl BMW M5 throttle body and machined a block of ali to adapt it to his 4-pot 3-series, I've seen others make TBI adapters with two chunks of nylon chopping board machined with a dremel - not beautiful, but cheap and effective.

I've learned a lot about EFI for the 4cyl LR engine from these posts, now understand the mystery of injectors and adapter plates. Only problem now is I bought my LR for its simple engineeering and now Im thinking of fitting black boxes and making it all inscrutible.

I've got a su on my 2.25. Its not a powerplus whatsimajigger. Its a hif6 SU with an elbow adapter off the existing manifold. It gives you a bit more torque low down, but its not £500 more. £500 can buy you a whole lot of other engines + the bits to convert.