What satellite navigation?

john01473

Well here’s hoping for some guidance.

Having recently driven for miles down the wrong roads I figure I have to surrender to the annoying chic in a box with "turn right"

I wonder if there is one with some attitude - I wore the patience out of one I borrowed and in the end she just shut up and switched herself off.

My luck with women. Anyway I am looking for something I can update with downloads - something to take to Europe - mainly France and Spain.

So any help as to which one with an idea of cost would be helpful. Any to avoid.

Cheers

Big John

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi for personal use sometime ago now because I prefered the look of the map layouts/graphics etc. Now this works fine and the maps can be updated however not so long after we got some tom toms at work which I have ended up using alot more and find the address search funtion alot more intuative than the garmin and now I think the the tom tom maps are less clutered making them easier to follow on the move. The tom tom maps can be updated also you can buy some discs with different voices on (yoda, darth vada to name but a few)

The next one I buy will be a tom tom as I now personally find them easier to use.

Hope thats of some use to you.

TomTom is great but computer based software that it syncs with can be rather flakey - at least my three year old version is, and although TT have issued updates, these won't install on my PC, and the TomTom helpdesk are not the best either. the actual machine though, is great.

i used to have a tom tom but it died on me so i got a garmin nuvi 255w with full euro mapping and as said above the address input is not the best(you have to tell it if your looking for addys in wales for example)and while it works ok i have known it send me some silly ways to places (even different ways to the same place!!) so i will be going back to tom tom when this one packs up

rob

Hi, I use a tomtom go which I bought mainly for europe and the usa, it has done everything I have asked of it. It has two useful features:-sd card slot for adding more maps and a facility for adding lat/long co-ordinates, which is far more accurate than using post codes etc. Regards, rocky

The map software is the important and the best is Navtec used by Navman same software that the British Army use, Forget all the girly stuff, mp3, photos, where an I, voices, thats a Tom Tom. The mapping is the important thing.

i bought one of the cheap ones off ebuyer (was £50 in the summer) which are now around the £38 mark, then installed the latest tom tom on it, including the western europe maps. works a treat, especially as it was nearly a third of the price of the tomtom.....Clickety Click.....worked a treat taking us to Aberdeen & back last summer

i bought one of the cheap ones off ebuyer (was £50 in the summer) which are now around the £38 mark, then installed the latest tom tom on it, including the western europe maps. works a treat, especially as it was nearly a third of the price of the tomtom.....Clickety Click.....worked a treat taking us to Aberdeen & back last summer

thanks all - i have gone for a TOMTOM - TomTom ONE Europe V4 Classic - UK, ROI & Europe -

original price was £179.00 i got it for £99.99

from Halfords who were the cheapest.

many thanks

Big John

Avoid the Navmans....biggest pile of rubbish I have ever used. Twice yesterday it told me to make a turn then 20 seconds later made me go back onto the original road I had been on.

About a year ago it wanted me to turn the wrong way up a dual carriageway. Great! :angry:

i had a tom tom and it kept prompting me to go to tom tom updates and when i plugged it into the computer to update

it said that i had the latest version so no update available but it erased all the maps so it wouldnt work

i got a refund and bought a garmin much better

also if you ask in shops like halfords they get loads of tom toms returned with problems but hardly any garmins

i had a tom tom and it kept prompting me to go to tom tom updates and when i plugged it into the computer to update

it said that i had the latest version so no update available but it erased all the maps so it wouldnt work

i got a refund and bought a garmin much better

also if you ask in shops like halfords they get loads of tom toms returned with problems but hardly any garmins

May be because tom tom are a best seller, but if you read the reviews on sat navs you wouldn't buy one they all have pros & cons, even built-in sat navs fitted to the expensive cars have problems as shown on TV Top Gear. Just bit like mobile phones don't read the reviews :)