Mach5's and balancing

jbs

Hi all, I have had Mach5's on my 90 now for about 5 years they're the later one's with the rolled edges, Apart from having a shed load of weights attached to my wheels when I've had them balanced on the outside of the rim-is there anyway of balancing the wheels and not having the huge amount of weight on show as this will eventually fall off and cause the tyres to be unbalanced again, I was having a discussion with someone a while ago and he mentioned that he has in the past put the sticky weights on the inside of the rim(balancing the rim before attaching the tyre-then balancing the tyre afterwards)which I take it by what he says is to use something like a spoke protector on a bicycle wheel to protect the tubes from damage and also the air pressure from the inner tube will keep the sticky weights in the place you put them, He also mentioned that he has also seen but not done welding to the rim to balance the rim-as in welding a bead of weld to take the place of weights this he say's did take a fair bit of time to do but got the desired result.

I'm getting to the end of my tether with the Mach5's as much as I love them I just wish i could get the balancing done right and also make it stay balanced too

I'm running 7.50x16 S.A.G. by General Grabber on them

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

John

If you are using tubes I would not recomend sticking anything on the inside, it will rub/move just enough to burst the tube, on my last Landy the tyre fitter had left the stickers on the inside of the tyres they rubbed just enough to burst the tubes, two went at the same time it was not fun!!

Most wheel balancing places have two types of weights - clip-on rim ones like you have now, and strips of stick-on weights which they use on the inside face (pointing at the edge of the brake disc) on alloy wheels on posh cars. I've used these on my LR alloys and they've not fallen off.

I suspect a lot of your imbalance is in the tyre, try turning the tyre on the rim to get a better combination where the tyre best balances naturally against the wheel.

Thank you all for your replies, I will go and have a chat to a few tyre places near me and see what they can come up with-I did read on another thread on here that someone has used a truck tyre place to get they're mach5's balanced it's worth just chatting to them to see what they maybe able to offer

If someone else could also put any advice on here I'll keep looking at this for the next couple of days and then go from there

Thanks again

John

How and where or more importantly who would i get to do the tack welding of weights inside a wheel?

John

John,

When people are saying to put the weights inside the rim they do not mean for you to put them on the surface which would be in contact with the inner tube (if fitted).

You should be looking at sticking (if using the self adhesive "lead" strips) or welding (if using blocks of steel) to the part of the rim which faces the hub ie; you could touch the part they are refering to even when a tyre is fitted to the rim.

Balancing Mach 5's well can be a very labour intensive business, but it can be done so they will be vibration free to 100mph and above.

I suggest you go to a commercial tyre fitter with all your wheels and tyres. Try to balance each wheel/tyre combo. If any is beyond the use of a few balance weights to correct, turn the tyre a quarter of a turn on the rim and try again. Eventually you should find a position where the tyre and wheel will counteract each other's imbalance. Now stick on the few weights to finalise the balance.

You will probably even so get one or two which refuse to balance, so you should remove the tyres from these rims, swap them over and try again with the new tyre/wheel combination.

It's taken me ages to type this, so you can see it will take even longer to do it in practice. If the fitter is not a friend, then you will be looking at a hefty bill. You may be better to take the advice of others and buy some wheels intended for the road - particularly as you're running tubed SAG's.

Hope you get sorted.

Giles

Different type of wheel i know, but my BMW alloys wouldnt balance. They were partly the cause of an alarming shimmy when braking hard from motorway speeds. The two rims on the front turned out to be bent (god knows how the previous owner did that and perhaps i'm better off not knowing) and since they were alloys beyond repair (you cant just knock them back into shape). Having a close look at the wheels, there were visible flat areas on the inside of the rim - not noticeable unless you look closely mind.

There's no chance your rims are damaged and hence wont balance is there? I know mach 5s are strong, but its worth checking.

Dynabeads are what 1010sean meant i think. They might help although i have heard mixed things about them. I think Devon 4x4 sell them amongst others - although not called dynabeads here apparently - http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/c214/tyre-balancing/0.html

Reb78,

I did some hunting on the net and also found the dynabeads advert on D4x4, I'll speak to the local tyre places and also do some more digging about re:the dynabeads and see what's what, I read on the net maybe even on here people were/are using plastic BB's to do the same job looking at the BB's they won't do any good in my wheels as I run tube's-but after looking at the dynabeads web page the "beads" they use are tiny compared to BB's and you can use them with tubes too here's a link to the web page that I found http://www.dynabeads.co.uk/auto4x4.php you use a small plastic bottle and a clear plastic tube to fill the tubes with and then reinflate

does anyone have any good or bad things to say about these things and what they say they can do?

John

I got my balance beads from a company in Scotland, cheaper than D4x4. They work fine, I have 255/85x16 BFG MTs on alloys. They were originally fitted by someone who turned out to be clueless, he stuck about 3 layers of lead on the inside of one rim which the mud shield promply knocked off.

An alternative to the beads/BBs is what the commercial places use on lorry tractor unit front tyres - powder balance. I ran it in my Insa Turbos for a while. Same theory as the beads, but quite possibly a lot cheaper and the commercial fitters should have it in stock if you chat to them...

Have you thought that it might be the tubes that are causing the majority of the imbalance? Is it possible to try them without tubes or will the tyres not seal properly??

Orange, I was hoping that something like what you described was in stock with a local truck tyre place, my next door neighbour is a truck driver and I shall ask him where there is somewhere local to get truck tyres done-somewhere he trusts that is

I love being on this site everyone's so damn helpful

John

101sean

I got my balance beads from a company in Scotland, cheaper than D4x4. They work fine, I have 255/85x16 BFG MTs on alloys. They were originally fitted by someone who turned out to be clueless, he stuck about 3 layers of lead on the inside of one rim which the mud shield promply knocked off.

Do you by any chance remember where you got them from?

seams the mach 5s are a bit hit and miss when it comes to balancing m mine used to be fine with no weights or beads using 34" simex jungle treckers , then i had Saley split them and fit bead locks , then fitted fedimas that measure 36.5" and still no problem , i used it last week fro work will happly do 70mph on the bypass to work , you can even let go of the steering wheel its that steady

do you have problems with all 4 wheels ? have you tryed them without weights? tryed marking the tyre and turning that on the rimm to try reduce amount of weights .

i recon any weights you ''stick'' on the inside of the rim will be ripped of with any off roading that fills the wheel with mud

Update: After chatting to a couple of tyre places on the phone, I've decided to go with the dyna bead option and see how I get on with that and if that doesn't work then I shall have go down revolving the tyre route to see if i can get a happy medium doing that.

Thankyou all for your advice at least with this on here I can review it later if i need to.

John

Very true Mr Orange but I've gone and ordered them from e-bay now they cost me about £23 including delivery so I think I can live with that I've got 2x14 oz bags coming the dynabeads web site says 5 oz's to each wheel of the size I use so i'll give it a whirl and see what the score is

John

As i'm a tyre fitter!! I would just like to add my 2 pence worth!

I have fitted beads for a friend who run's them in a set of large fedima's & they work fine for him! he fitted the beads in 2 of them himself & it took him ages (about 1&1/2 hrs) i think he said!

He asked me if i could fit the others as he was loosing the will to live and they were done in about 20 mins. the best way to fit them is to take your motor along to a fitter ask him to strip the wheels down & make a hole in the tube & pour the amount you want fitted into the tube, Then repair hole with a patch & rebiuld wheel & tyre.

If you are using agricultural tubes with the air water valve system as i have supplied a few competition people with you can pour them straight into the wider part of the valve when it's flat of course!!

On the other hand i run Mach 5's with insa'a / a friend run's Mach 5's with external beadlock's with 35 inch Simex / another with Wella? & external beadlock & 33 inch Silverstone's / another with Modular rims & 37 inch Maxxis, and i have balanced all these with stick on weight's to the inside of the rim. No one get's any problem's but the larger ones do take a bit or weight!! The worst being about 930 grams to balance as the tyre mould was all over the place & that tyre was a Maxxis.

Hope you get it sorted!! Or if you want any advise just send me a PM :D