Wiring x-lites

jcwcooper

I'm about too wire up my x lites, I've done all the relay side of things but I was wondering about the lights themselves.

I know how to wire them, but my question is what have you done to make it look tidy?

They need to be earthed obviously but how, is it a case of it needs to go back down to some where on the vehicle, it was easy with my previous light bar as you could earth them where the light bolted down to the light bar which was bolted to the body ect.

Dave.

I had mine earthed back to the battery IIRC, but... no real reason why not to just find a clean bit of metal inside the truck and connect it with bolt and a ring terminal.

I just prefer to have all my earths in one place, means I can't forget where they all areĀ  :rolleyes:

Just run an earth back down in the same loom as the supply and bolt it to the bulkhead above the brake reservoir, or run it directly back to the battery (best solution IMHO), or back to the relay earth point. Simple enough...

To make it tidy, either wrap the loom in spirawrap (or electrical tape) or put the whole lot into some convoluted tubing/trunking and cable-tie it to the cage. You can use P-clips if you are looking to get away from cable-ties...

Can you post some pics and your thoughts about their performance when you've finished please. I was looking at the flush mounted ones to bolt directly through the roof, just inside the roof rails on a Disco. Thought that would be neat and out of harms way.

Not convinced how good to kitchen lights really are for driving though :ph34r:

I quickly wired them up Saturday before an evening greenlaning trip and I can confirm they are very good, I used to have some rectangle wipacs when I had my lightbar and the problem was they shine on too the dash so when I got the cage I decided to buy xlites the hood makes them focas off the bonnet, once I wire them properly I will pop some photos up.

Dave

I wired them up to the original RRC foglight connectors (and thus also using the original switch in the dash, albeit modified to always work instead of only when the highbeams are on), seems to work very well. The only issue I see with them is that they don't seem very watertight (mounted them on my winchbumper), and the connector at the light has a tendency to come loose when fiddling with the wires :unsure::rolleyes:

But apart from that they are very excellent.

I'd recommend running the earths for everything back as directly to the battery as possible. Using the bodywork is just asking for problems - including additional corrosion of the Aluminium.

I too would not have believed that MR16 'kitchen lights' would be any good - until I tried them and was pleasantly surprised!

Most of the lights on the market are designed to work at distance - light up a tree at 2 miles kind of thing. Many, I think were designed for hunting / shooting in the US and Australia.

Off road, just as in your kitchen - this isn't very useful. You need to see the mine-shaft you are about to stick a wheel in - not blind someone in the next county!

If you (anyone) buy a set and are disappointed for any reason - including the illumination - mail them back and you'll get a full refund including your return shipping!

Si

If you (anyone) buy a set and are disappointed for any reason - including the illumination - mail them back and you'll get a full refund including your return shipping!

Honestly Si, have Paddocks et al taught you nothing about proper disinterested customer service? This sort of thing will never catch on you know...

Thanks for the reply Si - refreshing to have a company with such a returns policy :)

I like the fact I could bolt the flush ones through the roof so I wouldn't have to worry about hiding cables and such - the cables would come through the bolt and be behind the headlining in the cab. Neat design. As I say, was thinking about just inside the roof rails of the Disco. I will add them to my shopping list and give them a try - with duck tape before I drill any holes :P .

Dave, sorry for the hijack, look forward to seeing your pics.