Hummer is dead

Kev Baldwin

Official GM press release

"Wind down of HUMMER business to begin

General Motors today announced that Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Co., Ltd. (Tengzhong) was unable to complete the acquisition of HUMMER. As a result, GM will begin the orderly wind-down of the HUMMER operations.

"One year ago, General Motors announced that we were going to divest HUMMER, as part of focusing our efforts on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac going forward. We have since considered a number of possibilities for HUMMER along the way, and we are disappointed that the deal with Tengzhong could not be completed," said John Smith GM vice president of corporate planning and alliances. "GM will now work closely with HUMMER employees, dealers and suppliers to wind down the business in an orderly and responsible manner."

GM will continue to honor HUMMER warranties, while providing service support and spare parts to current HUMMER owners around the world"

Note that this relates to the 'Hummer' H2 and H3 trucks only (big stupid rebodied pick-up trucks) and NOT the Humvee (HMMWV-short for High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) produced by AM General. GM stopped production of the civillian 'Hummer H1' several years ago.

Oh, what a shame. I'll have to find another vehicle to make rude mastubatory signs at! Might have to be the Porsche Cayenne...talk about pointless.

Oh, and dont be too rude about Hummers, someone on this forum called me a sad tw@ for publishing my thoughts on these monstrosities lovely bits of kit.

As a previous Civilian H1 driver I can understand the reaction of people about the H2 / H3 models, when I see one I always have the same sort of feeling that many Defender drivers have towards Freelanders! I've been in an H2 and can confirm it's an oversized, useless, POS.

HOWEVER, the H3 Hummer was one of the very few cars available new today with a decent low range and front and rear locking diffs as standard. I think only the Jeep JK, Dodge Powerwagon and Mercedes G Wagen can claim this now (unless you can still get the Landcruiser 78 or 105 series in other markets with lockers).

With rumours that the new Defender will be Discovery chassis based there's not many 'hardcore' off road vehicle left in production, so it's a dark day to see one die.

The H1 will be in military service a few decades more, but I guess the civvy owners will find it hard to source parts after a while? H1 parts, that is, because the H2 and H3 have quite a few bits and pieces in common with other GM vehicles.

Civvy H1s are pretty hard to source parts for anyway. Engine gearbox and transfer case are pretty much stock GM, but everything else is specific to the model, much is not even shared with the Military version. Things like brakes are expensive and a long wait from the states.

I think once many moons ago i'd have been tempted with a H1 if i lived in the states and had the room for it, but the H2 and 3 were totally pointless tat, pimp mobiles for footballers and drug dealers! (imho of course!)

though the BMW X6 and Porsche cayenne aren't far behind...

it's a sad day for the workers though.