"Peak District parkland under threat from the rise of the 4x4s&#34

Rich_P

I saw over on the LROi website that they have put up a link to this newspaper article. It is one of the most biased pieces I have read in a while - no mention of what damage is done to footpaths by rambling. :ph34r:

Anyway. Is this just a one off thing or is more to come?

More importantly, are items like this true?

Council and Peak Park decisions are being examined for evidence of error or maladministration.

Thoughts?

My only thought on the whole debate is that it is purely a matter of when we lose the right completely, rather than if.

Hence why it's my aim to try and get about the UK and enjoy all the lanes we have left before the nay-sayers have them all closed :)

At least they can never stop us doing other kinds of off-roading, on private land.

I think the problem is the small minority who take the p**s, i've worked on farms in various parts of the country, all on privately owned land and the amount of people in landys who tear arse about and make a mess is huge, i even tried talking to some lads in a bright orange 90 who were on a restricted byway which passd through the farm, i tried explaining it was restricted, that they were on private land, that i was a fellow landy driver and even where some legal greenlanes were but they didn't care, they just shot off with the usual "yeah yeah"

so to answer Rich, yes it is true that it happens but the media do have a habit of twisting things and making them sound a lot worse than they are.

and i agree that it's not a case of 'if' but 'when' we lose complete access.

An emotive but ultimately toothless piece. The ourdoorsy groups got their wishes with NERC by lobbying Jim Knight good and hard. It's tough that the legislation is now set in stone. :P

I'd quite like to ban a few things 4x4 related in the countryside myself; the offensive and oxymoronic combination of an oily Hi-Vis jacket, camouflage trousers and rigger boots would be first on my list :lol: , followed by any 4x4 sporting a humorous stylee (not) sticker - e.g. You can go fast, I can go anywhere :huh: . I won't get my way either.

I'm off to start a group, public meeting in the Plough tonight, 7pm. Might even write an impassioned article or two... ;)

I cannot be arsed to read the article (too lazy and I just know that, like me, it will be ill informed and bigoted) but there is no smoke without fire.

A few years ago there seemed to be an explosion of people using green lanes - fueled largely by the sudden availability of cheap second hand 4x4s. These included lots of people who were (IMHO) less cautious about their use of green lanes and were looking for a 'mud-plugging' experience more suited to private off-road centers rather than what I consider to be the 'green-lane' experience. Perhaps it is just me but I feel that there are less of these people around these days - I certainly seem to meet less of them on green lanes - and I consider this to be a good thing for responsible green lane users, ramblers, antis etc.. Perhaps the fad has worn off and they now spend their weekends queuing in Ikea, fighting at football matches and in pubs, fitting hidden cameras in the toes of their shoes etc..? :)

One thing that may have had an impact on green lane traffic areas like the Peak District NP is CROW/NERC and the prohibition of driving on RUPPs. This has meant that areas like Exmoor (I am sure that there are others!) have become complete no go areas and this has diverted traffic into other areas/NPs - I know it has done me.

It would be nice if we, the 4x4 community, could find a way of getting on with other user groups, spreading the message that we are not all irresponsible oiks who abuse the privilege of being able to access the countryside in the manner we do. Sadly, the only people who get noticed in the countryside are the ones who are doing harm to our image as green lane drivers. :( Perhaps the time has come to expose them?

Chris

"Peak District parkland under threat from the rise of the 4x4s"

I don't see why my 2" lift (rise) is putting the Peak District under threat ...... (I will get my coat..)

But on a serious note I do think it is the "mud plugger" brigade that have caused the conflict for the rest of us but is that not society today. I like most if not all on here make sure I give way and space to people out walking would happy to pull over and wait for 5 min for them to pass, I take a saw and spade out with me fill holes repair trees clear paths, take out carrier bags and when we stop to eat spend time picking up other peoples rubbish, where they have decided to empty the inside of the car onto the floor................

I have had several run in’s with people when on green lanes, when they are out with very dubious 4x4’s tearing around in packs with very limited silencers. When I have confronted them all I got was a tirade of abuse even though they could see my children in the car.

Again the small minority will spoil it for all....

An emotive but ultimately toothless piece. The ourdoorsy groups got their wishes with NERC by lobbying Jim Knight good and hard. It's tough that the legislation is now set in stone. :P

I'd quite like to ban a few things 4x4 related in the countryside myself; the offensive and oxymoronic combination of an oily Hi-Vis jacket, camouflage trousers and rigger boots would be first on my list :lol: , followed by any 4x4 sporting a humorous stylee (not) sticker - e.g. You can go fast, I can go anywhere :huh: . I won't get my way either.

I'm off to start a group, public meeting in the Plough tonight, 7pm. Might even write an impassioned article or two... ;)

Ooh, did someone mention the Plough?

I vote for Widget!

I was in the peak district about a week ago, planned for a while but on the day the weather was great. This article is probably just in response to a weekend of higher laning vehicle amounts.

'virtually every one of them looking for clean air, clear skies and healthy exercise; not petrol fumes, the noise of revving engines and rutted roads.'

1) I have a diesel so i'm fine. 2) Had plenty of chats with walkers who loved my car and where genuinely impressed/interested with how we could drive these lanes and that they were not just footpaths. Unfortunately these people do not feel the need to say that to naysayers.

I do think that TRO information should be more widely available though. I am a member of GRASS and planning trips can still be a nightmare! But I am still relatively new to it all.

A big problem is i'll equiped vehicles, ones that need to cop-out and drive around obstacles, I just went on a 'short' laning trip locally, we had a vehicle loose drive and spent 20 hours getting him through with no damage to the lane.

http://www.glass-uk.org/

GLASS is the National User Group for those who enjoy using the Country’s network of ancient unsurfaced public roads and vehicular rights of way. We are a not for profit association dedicated to driving, protecting and researching our unique heritage of unsurfaced public highways. We promote legal and responsible driving as a way of enjoying the countryside and campaign against irresponsible use.

Glass offers its members access to information and advice, a quarterly magazine and full access to our comprehensive on-line database of rights of way in Great Britain. We also have a network of local representatives who hold regular meetings and can offer local knowledge to our members.