How do I get this cleaned?

Finn

Hi guys,

I am currently restoring a mayflower winch.

The winch is very dirty and I don't know how to get it properly cleaned. I tried some things already:

- unleaded fuel

- mechanical (see picture)

The main problem are the cooling fins. They are about 1 cm apart from each other. I got most of the dirt out with a screwdriver, but there still is a lot in there which I don't get out.

I have one more idea.. maybe I can put the whole thing in a pan with boiling water and dish soap.

I would be happy to hear more suggestions..

many thanks,

Finn

post-20584-126954842627_thumb.jpg

post-20584-126954844092_thumb.jpg

I had a load of bits acid dipped a while back by (I think) a commercial engine reconditioning place, I don't think they actually dipped them in acid for some reason but used a posh industrial heated tank parts washer, I have never seen engine bits look so clean & bright in all my life!

I had a load of bits acid dipped a while back by (I think) a commercial engine reconditioning place, I don't think they actually dipped them in acid for some reason but used a posh industrial heated tank parts washer, I have never seen engine bits look so clean & bright in all my life!

most truck/commercial garages have hot tank washers too so ask at your local one ;)

i used to work in a merc one and used to put my rangies wheels in there to clean them :lol::o:lol:

(if its delicate items they need restraining as the basket spins like crazy and turn the water jet temps down they can go up to 180 degs (approx))

rob