Rushall Down and the tanks explaned

Dartmoor by night with map and compass used to be a fun exercise

Indeed …………. Even better in the fog …………the never ending circle :lol:

And I’ve had to drag plenty off the moor that have failed the skills of both map & compass. :rolleyes:

But then there's always some people who don't need help as they have seen it all done it all and know it all :rolleyes:

Ah, but some of us are old and nearing our dotage (sp) …………. experience doesn’t come out of books ……….. : :P:lol::lol::lol:

Ian

You want to try Naving there on Ex at night tactically(no lights at all)with just a map, compass and 10 fig grid :blink: , looking for the muppet Officer with the cammed up Landie :lol: having left everything on in the Radio truck and needing a jump start....... :angry:

Sounds good Ian. I was with the DRG out of Oakhampton many moons ago.

Ah, well done that man ………….. draw a line from Okehampton to princetown ………. That area is notoriously bad for ….. shall we say ………losing your way ……. its also full of bottomless peat bogs and nasty valleys …………. Not nice at 2:00am in the morning in a pea souper and raining with rain …………. And if you get the access route wrong there isn’t too much to winch against …………Oooh I could go on forever …. :rolleyes:

Far too old for that sort of thing now ......................its hard work ........ but it stays ingrained in the memory.......... :lol:

Ian

Ah, well done that man ………….. draw a line from Okehampton to princetown ………. That area is notoriously bad for ….. shall we say ………losing your way ……. its also full of bottomless peat bogs and nasty valleys …………. Not nice at 2:00am in the morning in a pea souper and raining with rain …………. And if you get the access route wrong there isn’t too much to winch against …………Oooh I could go on forever …. :rolleyes:

Far too old for that sort of thing now ......................its hard work ........ but it stays ingrained in the memory.......... :lol:

Ian

Thats the trouble with you old uns :) always on about how hard you had it, :)

Whoops was that me or a grumpy old git :)

Ah, but some of us are old and nearing our dotage (sp) …………. experience doesn’t come out of books ……….. : :P:lol::lol::lol:

Ian

That's the difference between those who do know it all, or a least most of it, and those who only think they do ;)

I met a couple of guys from Landmarc up on the plain today and asked them about Rushall Down. They said that the BOAT runs to the left of the tanks in Rob and I's pictures and that there is a sign at the end of the BOAT. They also said that it should be safe enough to walk on the BOAT but that driving it may not be so safe - just because you cannot see what you are driving on...

So, there you have it, from the horse's mouth.

Chris