Rusty nuts and bolts

Whats the best method for removing rusted nuts and bolts that are so rusty that they are flaking when I touch them.

I went under the truck last night to clean up in preperation for installing rock sliders.

All the nuts and bolts were very rusty. I cleaned around them and soaked them in WD40.

Do I need a grinder or something to just cut them off?

Thanks.

If you have an impact wrench then using that with a decent fitting impact socket can work wonders on rusted fixings. Most important is the decent fitting socket part. Impact wrench or not, if you use a loose fitting socket, or even just a 12-point rather than a 6-point (Hex), then they can round off :(

If not then the angry grinder is always a good option :P

nut splitter, air die grinder, or 4-5mm drill and chisel. ;)

especially for those hard to reach nuts like the 90 fuel tank project :rolleyes:

all the ones I tried to loosen with sockets and mole grips were that far gone they turned into stubs.

standard grinder if you can access the bolt heads

Pete

Try clean up the exposed threads as best you can before trying to loosen up the nuts, with wire brushs etc then oil em and get the elbo greese out, if you do this it helps to stop the nut from jamming up as it goes over the manky threads.

if they are that bad that they are rusted through to dust, I would say with a either a nut splitter or with a good socket try and overthghten them first and see if they snap.

Jason.

More or less what's been said already.

Just to add that heat (from oxy acet) always has a near-miracle effect on rusty fixings. Heat up nut to dull red and crank away. You just might be able to achieve a result with a propane torch with a fine enough burner, but all the plumbing type ones with a broad flame just wouldnt do it. Or there used to be (cheap)carbon rod attachments for arc welders that can deliver a good amount of heat - bit trickier to use though because of the need to use the dark eye shield whilst operating.

Otherwsie if I can't snap the bolt I'd resort to aforementioned :angry2: grinder - splitters and chisels can take an age.....

I have had good success with hammering a slightly smaller socket onto the rusty nut, so if it is a 13mm I usually look for a 12mm and drive it onto the nut then use a bar to loosen the offending article. This is usually after a liberal application of penetrating oil and maybe heating the nut up with a torch (if possible). The disadvantage is that sometimes this process destroys the socket but if it gets it off it is usually worth the few $$

I`ve been stripping my 110 down for a new chassis. I have used shock and unlock from Halfords which works well and spray cans of 3 in 1 penetrating oil. The oil works well when given time. Nut splitters and drill have also been useful.

John