Rear bumper build

Well started off as "just a new metal bumber" now it is a lot more!!

24042010036.jpg

15052010043.jpg

15052010042.jpg

15052010041.jpg

15052010040.jpg

So it has turned into a rear bumper with winch mount, just need to make the winch mounting plate. I will also be adding a swing away wheel carrier at a later date.

Thanks go out to Gary :)

Paul

Bit lardy :P

Looks good, did you think about making it a little higher up? or would you run into clearance issues with the tailgate?

Yes, the bottom tail gate drops down, so it might have been a problem. It is a little closer in than standard. It is not as tall.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks very smart Paul, one sugestion i would make, is that don't rely on the gas strut to be the stop for how far it can swing open, as a bit of steel / teather wire. I've got a gas strut on my defender rear door, and if your not carefull, the momentum of the weight of the door opening (especially when parked on a side slope) can and has snapped the end clean off the strut :( .

Does it sit lower than a standard one Paul? Just wondering what it's fine to your departure angle.

Certainly very solid looking!

It is a bit better than standard and yes it is very strong. My mate with another 80 series drove into the back of me. Just marked the paint, wrote off his front bumper and dented the wing and lower pannel!! It also takes the weight of the LC when doing the bome hole on Strada ;)

Paul

Looks nicely thought out.

One question - why did you put the spare smack in the middle? Don't you like seeing behind you...?:P

First off I would have to move the fog light if it was to one side, the second is I am a lorry driver and never use the middle miirrow anyway ;)

Paul

• 9 years later...
On 8/24/2010 at 8:51 PM, HPLP said:

Hey Paul

Where did you get the toggle clamp from? Ive been trying to track down one or two for my spare wheel carrier.

Thanks,

h

Hey HPLP,

I know my post is too late, but I would also suggest to look to quick release toggle latches. Came across these- would look nice in black: https://www.ojopsweden.com/product-tag/military-latches/

• 2 months later...