Tyre Changing

simonr

Last night, my friendly local mobile tyre fitter came round and changed the other three in less than 10 mins - totally manually.

He had a fantastic tool for breaking the bead which couldn't be simpler:

Lbb4.jpg

Essentially just a slide-hammer! He uses it on everything from small trailer tyres to giant tractor tyres (where he can only fit one at a time in his van).

He also had two tyre levers, one thin and the other thick - and a load of soapy water.

The bead breaker worked with a single strike on each side. He said they cost about £100 - but it would be easy to fab one up out of a bit of box section and an old crow-bar. The 'trigger' handle just locks the slide in the closed position - but I don't think that is necessary for it's operation.

If the crow bar bit was free to come out of the box section, you could use it as one of the tyre levers.

I'm still amazed how quick & effortless the whole thing was!

Si

S i have one of those sitting in the shed unloved and unused since i got lazy and just bought a secondhand automatic tyre machine ,i can get it as far as cheshire in the next month or so 1/2 mile from the m6 at warrington they are quite a lot more than a hundred notes , and yes the locking device is needed as is a retained bar just think about it and you'll realise why :lol:

S i have one of those sitting in the shed unloved and unused since i got lazy and just bought a secondhand automatic tyre machine ,i can get it as far as cheshire in the next month or so 1/2 mile from the m6 at warrington they are quite a lot more than a hundred notes , and yes the locking device is needed as is a retained bar just think about it and you'll realise why :lol:

Because it's too long when fully extended?

Looking on the web, they seem to run at about £149 retail. However, trade they come in just a snip under £100 inc VAT. Of course, they may not be the same as yours (no Gold plating? ;)) so may not be comparing like with like.

Many of the types I've found on the web don't include the locking thing - so I'm guessing it's not essential to it's operation?

I've fitted all four tyres now. It was a relief to find that my guestimation of clearances around the tyres worked out right. I built the truck using 31" tyres originally and had built with enough space for 35 x 11. Buy by the looks of it I could go to 39" before they hit anything on steer or articulation.

It looks pretty good now! This marks the end of a 3 year build.

Si

Because it's too long when fully extended?

Looking on the web, they seem to run at about £149 retail. However, trade they come in just a snip under £100 inc VAT. Of course, they may not be the same as yours (no Gold plating? ;)) so may not be comparing like with like.

Many of the types I've found on the web don't include the locking thing - so I'm guessing it's not essential to it's operation?

I've fitted all four tyres now. It was a relief to find that my guestimation of clearances around the tyres worked out right. I built the truck using 31" tyres originally and had built with enough space for 35 x 11. Buy by the looks of it I could go to 39" before they hit anything on steer or articulation.

It looks pretty good now! This marks the end of a 3 year build.

Si

I have one without the locking handle. The centre bar doesn't come out though.

Si, we need pics or are they in the "Members Vehicles" forum?

Mark.

Si, we need pics or are they in the "Members Vehicles" forum?

Ah, the rub with that is there is not a lot of Land Rover in it! There is some (wheels, bearings, drive shafts, rod ends and Carb), but the rest is an unholy mixture of Jaguar, Suzuki Vitara, Vauxhall & Seat Ibiza - plus one hell of a lot fabricated & machined by me.

I didn't put it in the members vehicles because I wasn't sure how popular it would be with the mods! Open to opinions?

Si

Heres how not to fit tyres,

and the lock is not needed in operation.

Kind of cool though! Think he may have overdone the spray a bit!

I'll post some piccies in the next day or two!

Si

Thanks For the order Simon; you seem to have made good time from your place.

Didn’t realise you were going to have a go at fitting them your self. Hat off to you.!

Had you said; I have got a walk round set up you could have had as I don’t use it. Four hours; would like to have been there sound like entertainment

When are you taking it out for a good try out? Let me know as I would like to see it in use. Are you going to put a winch on it? Cos I know where you can get a real good fairlead for it

Lawrence

If I can fix the Carb (it has an SU with a shattered plastic float!) in time - it will be at the next Boxgrove play-day near Chichester. You can come and laugh when something else breaks!

It's already got two winches - and possibly a third if I can figure out a way of fixing it in place. When I designed it, nobody used 3 winches!

What sort of fairlead are you referring to? I looked at ones from Winch Solutions & Gigglepin - but the diameter of the bar is only 16mm or so - so only 8mm radius. I think it needs to be bigger as, particularly pulling sideways, a small radius tends to break ropes.

I made one for my yellow 90, now fitted to my 110 with a 25mm radius and that works pretty well. Unfortunately, the 'pudding grade' Aluminium has started wearing at the corners - so maybe something like HE15 or Dural would be better?

Si

This was my effort; i've done quite alot like this and they dont take too long once you've got the knack, that was filmed on a very hot day too oddly!

If i cant get the beads to seat i've been known to use petrol instead of butane although its not exactly the safest of methods. I have the option of using a jcb to break the beads which is far easier than the jack method as you can even use it to turn the wheel and tyre over :rolleyes:

Will.

If I can fix the Carb (it has an SU with a shattered plastic float!) in time - it will be at the next Boxgrove play-day near Chichester. You can come and laugh when something else breaks!

It's already got two winches - and possibly a third if I can figure out a way of fixing it in place. When I designed it, nobody used 3 winches!

What sort of fairlead are you referring to? I looked at ones from Winch Solutions & Gigglepin - but the diameter of the bar is only 16mm or so - so only 8mm radius. I think it needs to be bigger as, particularly pulling sideways, a small radius tends to break ropes.

I made one for my yellow 90, now fitted to my 110 with a 25mm radius and that works pretty well. Unfortunately, the 'pudding grade' Aluminium has started wearing at the corners - so maybe something like HE15 or Dural would be better?

Si

How annoying ...just gone through two days without broad band (I was 1 of many 1000’s) and no explanation from onetel.....but at least I have it back now.

When is the next boxgrove day and do you have a post code for it? never been there what is the site like? is it similar to Slindon?

re the fairlead, I was thinking something with a large radius to for the very reasons you mentioned but made from 316 marine grade stainless for longevity. Something with a 30+ mm radius like in this pic (32mm rad)

Did you manage to get a float yet? are they all the same size? I dont know much about Su's

Si

How annoying ...just gone through two days without broad band (I was 1 of many 1000’s) and no explanation from onetel.....but at least I have it back now.

When is the next boxgrove day and do you have a post code for it? never been there what is the site like? is it similar to Slindon?

re the fairlead, I was thinking something with a large radius to for the very reasons you mentioned but made from 316 marine grade stainless for longevity. Something with a 30+ mm radius like in this pic (32mm rad)

Did you manage to get a float yet? are they all the same size? I dont know much about Su's

post-892-127511719974_thumb.jpg