Handbrake don't work

Hi there me again! Since I bought my landy the handbrake hasn't been working. It fine leaving it on gear but now I need to get my doe so I was wandering if there's any thread of how to overhaul and how to replace the handbrake cable and shoes. I'm suspecting a cable which is not link somewhere as I don't have that much resistance when pulling the leveller! Any Advice please thanks

"You can probably strip it down and fix it for free. Whilst the X-brake is very nice, it's an expensive way to avoid servicing the standard drum handbrake."

Couldn't have put it better myself!

By all means go and buy one as they are very good but then again so is the standard transmission handbrake when working correctly. Personally I would get yours working correctly first and then make an informed decission whether you want/need one.

The standard affair works very well indeed, it's just if you go off-road then it ends up full of mud and carp and then stops working.

Stripping down and re-assembling it cleaned up will fix it, but that gets tiring after the third time. An X-Brake is a truly fit-and-forget solution, although I must sort out the pad rattle in mine!

What James said - depends how you value your time & how much you enjoy having to strip, clean, reassemble, adjust the LR handbrake after every off-road trip. X-brake is one of very few things that, if I didn't have one, I would buy again instantly without hesitation.

Ah, but Ralph - your cable angle is wrong :) You set it straight with the handbrake off, but in fact it should be at an angle with it off and straight with the brake applied - naughty boy :)

Les :)

well it works fine, hasn't givem me any problems, so it'll stay as is, cable is straight at the operating ends. when applying or releasing the handbrake I can feel the x-brake caliper spring working, never got that with the drumbrake system.

"depends how you value your time & how much you enjoy having to strip, clean, reassemble, adjust the LR handbrake after every off-road trip"

Hmmmm. Not quite true.

I can't remember the number of times I have been off-roading in my LR's over the past 25-years (lets just say it is an awful lot and I don't mean bimbling along some grassy greenlanes either) but I can honestly say that the number of times I have had to strip & clean the transmission handbrakes due to contamination could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. Of course I carry out regular maintenance of the brakes (doesn't everyone?) but contamination of the handbrake is not something that has caused me any real problems.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against modifications of this type as most of them are extreamly worthwhile but it just gets me down that as soon as someone says their handbrake isn't working as it should be the general call is to rip it out and replace it with something that while being very good, might not be necessary for all users. In most cases where the handbrake is not up the the job a simple act of maintenace would probably do the trick.