Tomcat v Canoe???

I don't think Mike can claim that - his is 200TDi not TVR 4.0 V8 :( it's just not right to have an oil-burner in a vehicle like that. Perhaps faster than a broken-down scooby :ph34r:

I had a top-gear moment today, raced a boy racer in a Saxo off the lights and won - and I was towing a trailer :lol: he wasn't pleased. Not quite the Overfinch RR but made me smile.

Perhaps faster than a broken-down scooby :ph34r:

lol! The Top Gear One was 0-60 was 4.8 wasn't it? So as my standard scoob is 0-60 in 5.2 it is quicker :o;):D Still, I'd hope so for something that cost that much - my scoob only cost me £6,500! B) :lol:

Lovely car and I love Top Gear, they can do no wrong in my eyes, entertainment like it's meant to be B)

As for Mike B, he did claim he reckoned his 200TDi Tomcat was quicker than my Scoob.... then Dan took him out in the Scoob... strangly enough he hasn't mentioned it since :rolleyes:;):lol: Funny thing is, Scoob'd probably beat him on the twist off ramp too! .... < sigh > someone give him internet access, it's no fun taking the tiddle when he's not around! :lol:

lol! The Top Gear One was 0-60 was 4.8 wasn't it? So as my standard scoob is 0-60 in 5.2 it is quicker :o;):D Still, I'd hope so for something that cost that much - my scoob only cost me £6,500! B) :lol:

Lovely car and I love Top Gear, they can do no wrong in my eyes, entertainment like it's meant to be B)

As for Mike B, he did claim he reckoned his 200TDi Tomcat was quicker than my Scoob.... then Dan took him out in the Scoob... strangly enough he hasn't mentioned it since :rolleyes:;):lol: Funny thing is, Scoob'd probably beat him on the twist off ramp too! .... < sigh > someone give him internet access, it's no fun taking the tiddle when he's not around! :lol:

Poor Mike! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You could possibly build a Tomcat that good for less that 15k and much more fun off road than you could in a scooby on the road. :ph34r:

the engine is the key

the tomcat looked like it had a LT95 box and old classic running gear, mmm there's hope for Dan RR yet :lol:

good engine decent shock and he would be away for less than 10k

Do you think it's possible to do a sub 5 second 0 - 60 time with an LT95 in anything? 2nd to 3rd takes a fair chunk of time.

just use 3rd its strong enough :lol::lol:

Look at the Video its a old LT95 gear stick and when it looks at the front hub it a old RRC before Alloy wheel type.

I would put money on it.

I have a mate the only puts his TVR 5lt in the garage every night cos he is convinced he will wake up one morning to find I swapped the 5 for my 4.2.

Tomcat used to claim that one could be put on the road for less than 5K.

However, i think if you wanted one to hang together then you might to spend a little more in some select items................ :)

Tomcat can be fitted with either early or late type axles, i.e. Disco II, its just choice in the end.

I know exactly how mine has cost so far and it shocks me evry time i think about it :blink::blink:

Hmmm 0 - 60 in sub 6 seconds......................... i never timed mine with the 4.6, its gonna be slower with a 3.9, it might be a little quicker after christmas though :D

Tomcat used to claim that one could be put on the road for less than 5K.

However, i think if you wanted one to hang together then you might to spend a little more in some select items................ :)

Tomcat can be fitted with either early or late type axles, i.e. Disco II, its just choice in the end.

I know exactly how mine has cost so far and it shocks me evry time i think about it :blink::blink:

Hmmm 0 - 60 in sub 6 seconds......................... i never timed mine with the 4.6, its gonna be slower with a 3.9, it might be a little quicker after christmas though :D

i know my has cost more than 10k but i don't know how much more and its still not finished.

I know you could build a Tomcat for less than £10k ... but would it be *that* fast? ...and if it was fast would it be good? I think Mr Challis has a point, for it to be fast and capable of putting the power down and using it effectively you're talking lots of money.

I'll stick with the Scoob for on-road and the Series for off-road - sorted B) (and cheaper ;):D )

...although Jules, you're on to something there... must check behind the sofa for 10k! Bertha's in the garage at the moment, so it'll be interesting to see what comes out!! lol! :huh::)

I still maintain the 0-60 time is very optimistic. A new TVR weighing less than 1200 kg with 350hp takes 4.4 seconds to 60.

The suggestion seems to be that a Tomcat weighing around 1500kg, 300 ish hp and a tractor gearbox will do it in 4.8 seconds.

Anyone with 5L Tomcat and LT95 fancy a run what ya brung day at Santa Pod?

However I'm sure Tomcat Nev will be sub 5 seconds when he fits a fresh Chevy LS1. Should be pretty awesome.

Anyone with 5L Tomcat and LT95 fancy a run what ya brung day at Santa Pod?

Good points Steve and that would be worth seeing, an interesting experiment.

Would also be interested to see how the transmission copes with the power onto the road - any kind of ATs/MTs would suggest you'd have to be careful off the line and it all adds to the 0-60.

Good points Steve and that would be worth seeing, an interesting experiment.

Would also be interested to see how the transmission copes with the power onto the road - any kind of ATs/MTs would suggest you'd have to be careful off the line and it all adds to the 0-60.

Yes but the TVR gear box is set for 180mph+

The best I have ever got out of a LT95 is 120mph (down hill with the wind behind me) with a mate in a RS turbo checking the speed.

In my old white Range Rover 2dr with a 3.5efi the do go like plop off a stick (It was my first car).

so the gearing is soooo much lower giving the lower hours power a better chance of a "quick take off".

(that's slang for trash the drive train)

I had a LT95 that I never needed first in the two years I had it :lol:

As you say Jules it's not like for like.

However with a LT95 you would probably use 2nd and 3rd on a 0 - 60 run, in a TVR 1st and 2nd with 3 or 4 more gears in hand.

I had similar hp to a Sagaris and 100 lb/ft more torque in my RR running through an LT95 with 110 transfer gears (around 90 top speed) and it was quick but I would be suprised if it was below 5 seconds 0-60.

Jules,

Top speed has nothing to do with Top speed, that is set by the final drive ratio.

Had me thinking over dinner.

Tomcat is approx 1500kg with a max hp of 250hp for mine being realistic.

So that is a power/weight ratio of 166hp per tonne even with 300 hp we would only get 200hp per tonne.

My Honda Accord Type R was 212hp rated but produce 220 on a rolling road and weighed approx 1400kg which gives 160hp per tonne.

The Honda was a 7 second car but with superb traction, low final drive and super fast box.

Therefore with a manual box in a Tomcat i would be suprised to see these figure dip below 7 seconds let alone 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And mine was an Auto so slower again.

Therefore the ONLY answer to get down to 6 seconds for 0 to 60 has to be a bigger engine.

Maybe an LS-1 with a minimum of 350hp would give 230 hp per tonne, that would then allow a much better acceleration.

Nev

Jules,

Top speed has nothing to do with Top speed, that is set by the final drive ratio.

Had me thinking over dinner.

Tomcat is approx 1500kg with a max hp of 250hp for mine being realistic.

So that is a power/weight ratio of 166hp per tonne even with 300 hp we would only get 200hp per tonne.

My Honda Accord Type R was 212hp rated but produce 220 on a rolling road and weighed approx 1400kg which gives 160hp per tonne.

The Honda was a 7 second car but with superb traction, low final drive and super fast box.

Therefore with a manual box in a Tomcat i would be suprised to see these figure dip below 7 seconds let alone 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And mine was an Auto so slower again.

Therefore the ONLY answer to get down to 6 seconds for 0 to 60 has to be a bigger engine.

Maybe an LS-1 with a minimum of 350hp would give 230 hp per tonne, that would then allow a much better acceleration.

Nev

Dave has been talking me into a 3.4 v6 from some yank people carrier that has 200-300bhp stock in a lightweight ally block don't know any more but there about 4K new and that keeps me in a small class away from the big V8 that I'm not a good enough driver to catch yet.

my next racer will be something quick but small and not this year I need to rebuild the challenge truck first.

Me thinks Top gear were generous with the times ;)

Sorry I did not reply sooner but for some reason I could not reply to posts so I got board and (working nights) watched Star Wars on DVD.

The finel drive was the point, was trying to make do see many Bowlers with a 180+ top end :lol: its down to the box.

Theres no way that old Tomcat did 0 - 60 in less than 5 seconds, it'd need a jet pack on the back :D

I'm navigator of a built from scratch 6R4 independant racer, with an M3 engine giving 320 BHP through a getrag 6 speed box, geared for top speed of about 98mph, weighing 1250Kg.

We timed our 0-60 attempts using a datalogger from a GPS and it was never less than 6 seconds on a smoothish flat surface... that was even after lots of practice. We're gonna fit the all terrains and try it on Tesco car park sometime :o

racercowm1a.jpg

Going racing at Tong this weekend with NORC.

NORC