If it's not the wife it's the Motor!

So the LR past it's MOT GREAT! (so I thought) then the spanner man has to go and spoil it all

by adding a "Things to do" list!.....Not only is the LR not satisfied with all the TLC that I give

it it along with the odd little treat, it now wants me to spend money on it!.....It's like it's in

competition with the misses to see who can bleed me dry first!!!

Apparently the LR needs a new rear prop shaft and sooner rather than later. So where do I get one and is cheap

good?.....At the moment John Craddock Ltd. has the best price I've found 70 notes with VAT.

The LR is a Defender 90 "M" reg 1995 300Tdi and I'm lead to believe the part number for the prop shaft is

FRC 8393 Any info will be great thanks Mutley

That looks like I'm working 7 days a week again for the foreseeable future :(

Is it best to go with genuine as I know that is the usual case? some one told me awhile

ago that a prop shaft is a prop shaft regardless of make? If so Icould just about cope

with life.

Cheers Mutley

Sorry Western, not too sure at the moment only going by what the bloke at the garage said,

I'll find out tomorrow why he thinks it needs replacing?

PS. Don't suppose your wife has any dresses that you could send to keep my misses from

spending the LR fund! Shoes and handbags also welcome :)

Cheers Mutley

Sorry Western, not too sure at the moment only going by what the bloke at the garage said,

I'll find out tomorrow why he thinks it needs replacing?

PS. Don't suppose your wife has any dresses that you could send to keep my misses from

spending the LR fund! Shoes and handbags also welcome :)

Cheers Mutley

Ok with the prop, thought you had the truck at home,

can't send anything to your other half because I don't have one

See!..See what I mean, there's always something that needs me to spend every spare minute fixing

and checking on the ******* thing! When do I get my time? Just for me! When, when?

Does any body actually have a Land Rover that ever goes anywhere, or at least more than 5 miles

without needing to be fixed!?!

Sigh!....Will check it on my next day off! Which at this rate will be in about 4 months time! After

I've worked all hours god sends to keep the WIFE and the LR in the style that they require!

I once had a LIFE you know?.....But..but..It's just a distant memory now.....I think I was happy then, too?

Cheers Mutley

See!..See what I mean, there's always something that needs me to spend every spare minute fixing

and checking on the ******* thing! When do I get my time? Just for me! When, when?

Does any body actually have a Land Rover that ever goes anywhere, or at least more than 5 miles

without needing to be fixed!?!

Sigh!....Will check it on my next day off! Which at this rate will be in about 4 months time! After

I've worked all hours god sends to keep the WIFE and the LR in the style that they require!

I once had a LIFE you know?.....But..but..It's just a distant memory now.....I think I was happy then, too?

Cheers Mutley

Stop moaning & get on with it :P

Once you get on top of it all and you keep an eye on the things that matter then you can have your life back lol as you'll get a land rover that'll go and stop at will and won't need half as much time as you're putting into it as of now and as Ralph has kindly put stop moaning and get on with it-otherwise it'll only get worse if you don't do something soon

John

Ok guys I'll sort it I promise!....I'm going to bed now, and polishing my sockets ready!...

(I remember When I used to go to bed and polish other things! :rolleyes: )...(vaguely remember

going to bed and the wife polishing it too! :( , vaguely mind)...

Ok guys I'll sort it I promise!....I'm going to bed now, and polishing my sockets ready!...

(I remember When I used to go to bed and polish other things! :rolleyes: )...(vaguely remember

going to bed and the wife polishing it too! :( , vaguely mind)...

careful now :wacko::blush:

Ive just put a pair of front & rear propshafts from my 1996 110 300tdi on ebay. I dont know if a 110 front prop is the same as a 90 rear prop, but you can have it for nowt if it'll fit.

Ive just had a galv chassis rebuild done and decided to change both props whilst it was being done.

Im in Sheffield

Thank you for the offer WarPig, but sadly as you can guess, yes they are different :(

Lets face it that would make things too easy!

Once again thank you for a very generous offer appreciate it.

Cheers Mutley

You want to know whether the prop needs changing, and has been pointed out before, it's the condition of sliding joint that is crucial here.

As the garage man why it needs changing, but don't lead him on by mentioning the sliding joint.

You could ask 'can't I just change the UJs?', but no more than that. If the reply has 'sliding joint' in the first few words then treat that as a good indicator that the shaft needs changing.

For yourself, so you can match your new experience to what the the garage man says - so perhaps do this before you speak to the garage man, check the sliding joint - ignore the UJs.

Make sure the handbrake is on and go underneath. If you can fit under the handbrake end of the propshaft, do so. You might also need a light on the sliding joint, but arrange it so it isn't also shining in your eyes. Remove (slide away) any gaiter that is present. Hold the propshaft with one hand wrapped round both parts of the joint. This is the the hand that will feel movement between the two halves. Put the other hand just behind the sliding joint, this hand provides most of the power. Now attempt the lift the car off the ground. I'm serious, lying alongside and giving the shaft a mild tug will tell you nothing, unless it's so dangerous it's about to fall off, and that isn't what you have been told.

By trying to lift the car you are working against a solid base, the ground. Both look and feel for up and down movement in the joint. Just make sure the movement is from the sliding joint, not the nearby UJ. If you can detect any movement, and you've had the warning from the mechanic, then IMHO it's a waste of time and money changing the UJs, or even checking them for wear. Change the shaft.

If you decide the sliding joint is OK, I agree with removing the propshaft to both check them and to change them, BUT, before starting on the UJs, do a second check on the sliding joint. Clamp the outer in a vice on a sturdy bench and try to rock the short end. You may have to revise your first judgement, but better now than after you have gone to the time and expense of changing both UJs.

Good Luck.

Thank you for the offer WarPig, but sadly as you can guess, yes they are different :(

Lets face it that would make things too easy!

Once again thank you for a very generous offer appreciate it.

Cheers Mutley

No worrries :)

Got my new genuine props from PA Blanchards, decent price and good service.

You want to know whether the prop needs changing, and has been pointed out before, it's the condition of sliding joint that is crucial here.

As the garage man why it needs changing, but don't lead him on by mentioning the sliding joint.

You could ask 'can't I just change the UJs?', but no more than that. If the reply has 'sliding joint' in the first few words then treat that as a good indicator that the shaft needs changing.

For yourself, so you can match your new experience to what the the garage man says - so perhaps do this before you speak to the garage man, check the sliding joint - ignore the UJs.

Make sure the handbrake is on and go underneath. If you can fit under the handbrake end of the propshaft, do so. You might also need a light on the sliding joint, but arrange it so it isn't also shining in your eyes. Remove (slide away) any gaiter that is present. Hold the propshaft with one hand wrapped round both parts of the joint. This is the the hand that will feel movement between the two halves. Put the other hand just behind the sliding joint, this hand provides most of the power. Now attempt the lift the car off the ground. I'm serious, lying alongside and giving the shaft a mild tug will tell you nothing, unless it's so dangerous it's about to fall off, and that isn't what you have been told.

By trying to lift the car you are working against a solid base, the ground. Both look and feel for up and down movement in the joint. Just make sure the movement is from the sliding joint, not the nearby UJ. If you can detect any movement, and you've had the warning from the mechanic, then IMHO it's a waste of time and money changing the UJs, or even checking them for wear. Change the shaft.

If you decide the sliding joint is OK, I agree with removing the propshaft to both check them and to change them, BUT, before starting on the UJs, do a second check on the sliding joint. Clamp the outer in a vice on a sturdy bench and try to rock the short end. You may have to revise your first judgement, but better now than after you have gone to the time and expense of changing both UJs.

Good Luck.

Jesus that's impressive! They don't teach you that down at the Bulls Head!....Will have a go at that, I have just spoken to the said spanner man (and gave him no clues ;) ) the reply was that the "slider is worn!"...Not looking good I'm guessing...I suppose if I bang a new one on I wont have to worry about it for some time, it'll just mean more nighttime naughties polishing me tools ready for action :rolleyes:

I take it all you guys will be standing right behind me, when I have to tell this to Wifey and explain to her why she wont be able to go shopping for that new outfit with matching shoes and bag she's seen M&S :) In fact it might be best if some of the bigger guys were stood in front actually :(

Jesus that's impressive! They don't teach you that down at the Bulls Head!....Will have a go at that, I have just spoken to the said spanner man (and gave him no clues ;) ) the reply was that the "slider is worn!"...Not looking good I'm guessing...I suppose if I bang a new one on I wont have to worry about it for some time, it'll just mean more nighttime naughties polishing me tools ready for action :rolleyes:

I take it all you guys will be standing right behind me, when I have to tell this to Wifey and explain to her why she wont be able to go shopping for that new outfit with matching shoes and bag she's seen M&S :) In fact it might be best if some of the bigger guys were stood in front actually :(

When you fit the new prop, grease it before fitting [should be 3 grease nipples, 1 for the slider & 1 for each Uj] then lubricate it once every 3 months or more if drowning the 110 in deep water.

Will do Western thanks for that bit of advice, now for the next Stupid question

what type of grease do I use? I do happen to have a nice shiny new grease gun ready and waiting :D

Cheers Mutley