No speedo, no fuel gauge, no temp gauge, no side lights

Fuse 15 in my car refers to right headlight. I think the fuse that brings energy to instrument cluster are 3 (5A) and 4 (10A). In both case, they are bringing electricity correctly. Down you can see how the car was at the end of my Toroughly :rolleyes: fixing try, deeply invasive, as you can see. After all this, I have found that my fuel pump fuse is melting down, do you know what could be the cause (you can see a photo of the fuse at the end):

s7301867.jpg

s7301866.jpg

s7301865r.jpg

s7301868.jpg

I'd be surprised if the FP fuse is supposed to be a 30A one, has someone replaced it with a bigger one because the old one blew? There are only so many reasons for it to blow - faulty fuel pump or faulty wiring!

I'd leave the dashboard trim off if you're going on a rally, it adds weight* and slows down repairs.

* = OK, not much weight, but still...

Fuse 5 - main, is 30 amps

fuse 4 - fuel pump relay is 20 amps

If it's melting then too high a current is flowing through it (short circuit), or there's high resistance at this point.

I see your TD5 doesn't have a centre console so a bit different then.

Don't forget to read all the posts - can only help :)

Did you download the link crwoody posted - it's a complete wiring diagram.

Must be a poor connection on the other side of the fuse holder that is causing a high resistance and heat. The fuse will only blow if the current exceeds the fuse rating.

Edited to add, I'd put a 20amp fuse back in there, as this limits what the wiring can safely supply without melting etc. If it blows then you've more problems to trace :(

Edited by Gromit

• 2 weeks later...

I went and came back with no problem at all. However, yesterday when leaving my office the car suddenly shutdown. I checked the fuse and it was completely melt down. Changed it and it melt down again, really hot in ten minutes. I took out the fuse box, found an exposed cable and taped it, with no result. I tried everything: cleaning, taping wires, voltage checking, etc. Today it worked just fine, no heat at all, no blown fuse, but suddenly the car stops. I moved the relay and fuse until it runned again and took me to the office. Checking the electrical diagram, found there is a earth point for fuel pump, the C0556-1, can anybody help me with a photo or tell me where I can locate it? what else you think it can be?

• 7 years later...
15 hours ago, pantherslover said:

when a fuse is melting it means that the live feed is shorting to earth or the appliance you are powering is shorted to earth.

It means that something after the fuse is taking too much current, not the feed to the fuse shorting (otherwise the fuse would be bypassed and not blow).  Whether it is a short or a faulty service unit (motor, switch or whatever is connected tot he circuit) is anyone's guess.

I used to have similar issues and it was caused by the rear loom running inside the chassis becoming chaffed and then shorting intermittently. It was driving me mad as some days the vehicle worked and then it did not. In the end I had to resort to an car election who discovered this and replaced the loom outside the chassis which solved the issue.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

It means that something after the fuse is taking too much current, not the feed to the fuse shorting (otherwise the fuse would be bypassed and not blow).  Whether it is a short or a faulty service unit (motor, switch or whatever is connected tot he circuit) is anyone's guess.

He doesn’t mean that, he means what he says: the live feed supplied by the fuse or the appliance that it feeds. 

On 27/06/2018 at 5:53 PM, Peaklander said:

He doesn’t mean that, he means what he says: the live feed supplied by the fuse or the appliance that it feeds. 

OK, but there's still no way of knowing the cause of the excess current - a seized motor will draw too much current as it has less resistance than a spinning one, resulting in the same fuse blow as a short.