Anti Roll Bars

Morning all,

I have a Defender 200Tdi with no anti roll bars fitted.

I would like to fit some to help stop the excess body roll as I am now doing alot more road miles.

Can they be fitted from lets say a scrapped Disco etc.

What work would this all involve?

Cheers,

SpenB

Just only the standard 110 bar at the back does make a huge difference... you will need chassis bushes and bracket (to hold the bushes) but guess they are relatively cheap to order. And if you fit a second hand bar replace joints with quality items and not the cheapest ones available.

Cheers

Marco

I would be very interested to hjear what the 'collective mind' thinks about this topic.

I had a front anti rollbar fitted to my 1985 Rangerover about 12 yrs ago (shocks springs too) which transformed the vehicle.

and I was contempting doing it to my 110 CSW Td5, bought a bar off the 'bay, was going to have it fitted, but by chance ahd the opportunityu to run the idea past an engineer in the design dept at the factory (Landrover Ltd) The engineer's comment was that this combination " would throw the Td5 off the road at the first corner" This sort of put me off a bit!

I now have a Puma 110 CSW with front and rear antiroll bars and its great - really good! I also have a 1989 V8 LPG 110 pick-up and would like to improve its on the road handling, and I have a front anti roll bar from a 130.

what advice and comments can anybody offer?

thanks

I was contempting doing it to my 110 CSW Td5, bought a bar off the 'bay, was going to have it fitted, but by chance ahd the opportunityu to run the idea past an engineer in the design dept at the factory (Landrover Ltd) The engineer's comment was that this combination " would throw the Td5 off the road at the first corner"

Did they give a reason at all? Seems a strange thing to say, to me.

Stiffening the rear only on a vehicle (be it via an ARB or springs) will have the tendancy to make it oversteer.

Similarly, stiffening the front will make it understeer more.

If you fitted a rear only bar, then it will make the rear "looser". Depending on the vehicles existing balance, this may well mean the back end steps out on you at every corner, but given plenty of 110's were fitted with them from the factory, i'm not sure it would cause any problems.

If you fit both the front and rear bars, as they were on the disco, then one would assume the balance will stay more or less as it is just now.

I have a pair of bars for mine from a disco, and they'll be going on when i get to that stage of the build.

With apologies to SpenB, didnt mean to HiJack his topic. Just got carried away with 'newbie' enthusiasm that I might learn somthing relevant tp my situation too!

Contact with the factory was via a friend who used to work there, and to be fair to this chap, who took the time and trouble to reply - He did send an A4 page of part numbers for the correct fitment. This made me wonder what the differences could be?

Thanks

Excelent, for anyone who knows and is still reading I have three questions

1- How do you know where to weld on the brackets, if your chasis doesnt have them already?

2 - is there a difference between the Anti Roll Bars used for different models, 90 110 130 discovery

3 - My V8 110 Pickup is my daily driver not my off-roader, and as a pick-up is very light on the back end. Which end should I put the anti roll bars (and for those of us whop dont know) and why?

thank you