35 inch tyres

Hey,

Looking at getting some 35 inch tyres, maybe, and wondering, what is the narrowest rim they will fit on?

do they all come 12.5 wide, or can you get 10.5 wide?

I know people say you cant sqeeze tyres onto narrow rims, but thats just not true, but how far can you go? will a 12.5' wide tyre fit a 7' wide rim?

Thanks,

Pete

for 35s you'll need 2" lift (min)

for 12.5s you'll need minimum of 30mm spacers to maintain decent lock / prevent too much rubbing

i have had kumho (or marshall) KL71s, pretty good off road, reasonable in mud, quite civilised on-road

lots of choice including road-biased A/T all the way up to swampers

in fairness there is a lot on google too!!! ;)

post-22848-033691500 1282741784_thumb.jpg

I'd be inclined to agree with the above, I think Nige has raised the wheelboxes slightly in the rear to allow more upward travel, but his truck flexes very well and doesn't suffer from the problems of increased COG (and therefore instability) and negative effects to on-ride handling which lifting brings.

Also looks awful in my opinion :)

for 35s you'll need 2" lift (min)

for 12.5s you'll need minimum of 30mm spacers to maintain decent lock / prevent too much rubbing

I run 35/10.5 simex with no lift.The tyres will hit the rear wheel box given a good thump.

Extend the bumpstop by an inch,or raise the wheel boxes rather that lift the vehicle.

I enjoy the relative stabilty of my truck on side slopes.

How can you say he will need 30mm spacers when you dont know what wheels he is using?We are obviously not talking landrover steel wheels if they are 7" wide or over.

I run 3' lift with 5' shocks... have 33' insa's to challenge on and have mach 5s with a large offset and 30 mm spacers to turning is no problem...

Just wondering if the 12.5' wide will fit the 7' wide rims mainly.

cheers for the help though, and any more info would be nice.

Pete

You don't need 35's to hit the wheel boxes - 235 x 85 will hit if your suspension is any good.......:P

ermmmm, you sure on that??? :blink:

i dont think landrover would be allowed to fit as standard a tyre that fouls bodywork (which is an mot fail and would also not pass vehicle manufacture standards wotsit)

i had the springs off the back of my truck when i last did the suspension, so i could work out max closed shock length. With the axles resting on the bumpstops there was about 1" between the top of the tyre and the wheelbox. Supposing the bumpstops compressed a bit, it would get mighty close, but not touch. Although different 235/85/16 tyre manufacturers have different 'real world' sizes. I know the simex alike remoulds from Insa can be 33" when new.

255/85/16 or any other 33" tall tyre would touch though.

i dont think landrover would be allowed to fit as standard a tyre that fouls bodywork (which is an mot fail and would also not pass vehicle manufacture standards wotsit)

I don't think Land Rover fit suspension packages to allow more flex so this could happen either. Think we are talking 'modified' here. :unsure:

I don't think Land Rover fit suspension packages to allow more flex so this could happen either. Think we are talking 'modified' here. :unsure:

very few (none that i know) suspension packages involve removal of, or fitting of slimmer bumpstops to enable more 'up travel'. Therefore if you are using normal sized rubber/poly bumpstops then you will still get the same overall 'compressed state' and hence distance from hub centre to bottom of wheelbox - irespective of the amount of downtravel you get from flappy jonny joints and mega long shocks.

I am talking about modified suspension - sorry, should have made that clearer, but in my defence we are talking about 35"'s. :)

With +5" shocks I can definately confirm that a 235 x 85 will hit the wheelbox on full articulation. It won't hit on full bump though.