Butt splicing a synthetic winch rope

Orange

I had the wonderful experience of running the rear winch rope off to find a lovely cut/slice about half way along it. It practically leaves it as useless apart from making 2 extension ropes out of it. So out came the splicing kit and the instructions for butt splicing. I've had no issues with any splice that I have ever made for a hook, but I am a little dubious of butt splicing...

I have since swapped the rope (11mm) onto the centre winch as the most it will do is take the weight of the truck, but I'm wondering (as I now only have a 10mm rope on the rear winch) if it will stand up to the use that a rear winch is put to in a challenge environment... so, short, tight angle pulls, lowering into/out of things. I am fairly sure, but not sure enough to go ahead and try it...

Have any others tried and succeeded with butt splices, or am I best to leave it and buy a new rope??

TIA

Adrian

I had the wonderful experience of running the rear winch rope off to find a lovely cut/slice about half way along it. It practically leaves it as useless apart from making 2 extension ropes out of it. So out came the splicing kit and the instructions for butt splicing. I've had no issues with any splice that I have ever made for a hook, but I am a little dubious of butt splicing...

I have since swapped the rope (11mm) onto the centre winch as the most it will do is take the weight of the truck, but I'm wondering (as I now only have a 10mm rope on the rear winch) if it will stand up to the use that a rear winch is put to in a challenge environment... so, short, tight angle pulls, lowering into/out of things. I am fairly sure, but not sure enough to go ahead and try it...

Have any others tried and succeeded with butt splices, or am I best to leave it and buy a new rope??

TIA

Adrian

Have spliced two ends of a rope together lots of times and its holds fine....

but if its gone once because its old and shag'ed, its usually not to long before it snaps again some where else, and most likely when you least want it too.

if the rope as whole is in good nick then a splice in the middle will not matter.

My current center rope has two end-to-end splices in it and its been holding fine... it got the breaks when it was a front rope

i use this method http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177344

paul

Ok. I followed the instructions that came with my splicing kit. Pretty much the same, except it recommended 2-3 passes through each long tail with each short tail (if that makes sense...)

Looks like I've got the same end result, though...

The rope is maybe 18months old, so I wouldn't class it as past it. The cut is an obvious 'cut' if you know what I mean, rather than general wear and tear.

Ta muchly.

Ok. I followed the instructions that came with my splicing kit. Pretty much the same, except it recommended 2-3 passes through each long tail with each short tail (if that makes sense...)

Looks like I've got the same end result, though...

The rope is maybe 18months old, so I wouldn't class it as past it. The cut is an obvious 'cut' if you know what I mean, rather than general wear and tear.

Ta muchly.

As others have said above, never had a problem with a spliced rope giving out after been done properly! I normally pass through each other tightly 6 times.

Don't forget you already have a splice (although not a butt splice) where the hook is!

As said above, if done properly ( and even I can do it!) it will be fine.

I used the Samson website for guidance - they even have videos now I see......

Practice on an old off cut - then you can do it in front of the telly..... :)

Even though the rope has been saoked and 'cleaned' I still wouldn't risk the wrath of 'er indoors by doing it in front of the telly!! Old laptop in the garage would be the best I could do...... Or perhaps outside the patio doors looking in!! :lol:

Will see how it fares on Sunday, then....

I would NEVER use a But splice!

It hurts your but far too much, especially if not fully clenched!!!

And it only seems to hold the rope really firm when you get scared of something, Otherwise it tends to burn said But quite badly as it slips!

Not recommended unless petrified! :P:D:D

Lara

Mind you, that fear I hear that some have of their wives may help!!

What do you think Jbs?

I would NEVER use a But splice!

It hurts your but far too much, especially if not fully clenched!!!

And it only seems to hold the rope really firm when you get scared of something, Otherwise it tends to burn said But quite badly as it slips!

Not recommended unless petrified! :P:D:D

Lara

Mind you, that fear I hear that some have of their wives may help!!

What do you think Jbs?

Lara in your case perhaps a laxative might help :D

John

back on track I am sure I read somewhere that a new rope has a given strength and a butt spliced rope is reduced in strength by a % cant remember how much though.

I have splice repaired my ropes numerous times though.

I currently use 12mm bowrope and unless I am silly cruel get at least 1 year (10ish) of challenge events out of it. 11mm tended to do 3 ish twin bow motor and a heavy truck