Registration theft?

Les Henson

Got a letter from them this morning.:-

For the attention of Mr Henson

Vehicle Registration Mark: GJO 283F LAND ROVER LIGHT 4x4 UTILITY

According to our records you are the keeper of the above mentioned vehicle. We are therefore wroting to let you know that someone else has applied to be recorded as keeper and be issued with a Registration Certificate (V5C).

If you still have the vehicle or the vehicle has been stolen and there is no reason why someone should be applying for a V5C please telephone using the number above or write using the above address.

If you do not contact us within 14 days we have to issue a V5C to the person who has applied because they have declared they now keep the vehicle.

IMPORTANT - you may have already recieved an Identical letter, but you should still respond to this one.

If you have sold the vehicle or there is a dispute over ownership please refer to the notes overleaf. Please do NOT telephone us in these circumstances.

Vehicle Customer Services.

Intersting - I have the log book here, and I personally scrapped the vehicle with the exception of the chassis, which I sold to Ridgeway 4x4. Looks like someone is trying to pull a fast one.

Les.

which I sold to Ridgeway 4x4.

So are they applying for it? IIRC people who own the chassis with number have all rights?

That said, the motor might need more than just the chassis to retain identity - the 5 points chassis, 2 points axle, 2 points transmission etc?

Could so easily be wrong though.

I think it's you who's in the wrong les,

In my opinion you should have sold the logbook with the chassis,

Or declared it to the dvla as scrapped.

What someone could have done is bought the chassis from ridgeway 4x4, and a built a car up on that chassis.

in that case the logbook belongs to them!

I think that if you reported it to the dvla, they could take a very dim view of you scrapping the vehicle and keeping the logbook, almost sounds like you were planning to ring another series.

It doesn't really matter what they 'think' I 'Might have been' going to do does it? I just kept the log book for no particular reason other than I didn't think about it.I still have engine, transmission, bodywork, and one axle here anyway.

Les. :)

Not quite sure what you mean by a 'leg to stand on' as I'm not after anything.

Even if they had the chassis and log book they still wouldn't be able to legally put a vehicle with that registration on the road would they. Chassis only being 5-points means that they can't do it.

Les. :)

Say for example they have the original chassis that is 5 points.

Then they buy new springs, shackles, ubolts, brackets and shocks, they then have a further 2 points for suspension.

They then buy new steering box, relay, TRE's and steering bars, they then have another 2 points for steering.

They then have a total of 9 points, and they only need 8 points to retain the original logbook.

As Les has the V5 and most of the components if he bought a NEW chassis he could rebuild the vehicle with easily enough points to retain the original documents. (IIRC that is!)

Written while Dirty Diesel was replying

Interesting, as both parties could amass enough points to have the "original" vehicle!!!!!

As Les has the V5 and most of the components if he bought a NEW chassis he could rebuild the vehicle with easily enough points to retain the original documents. (IIRC that is!)

If les has the engine, 'box and 1 axle with a new chassis he would be up to 9 points as well.

It'd be interesting to see who kept the logbook then!

Les if you want the reg write back if you don't then shred the log book as the new owner of the chassis will get one from the DVLA.

I had to apply for one when I once purchased a motorbike for scrap I guess they wrote to the previous owner then too.

I think you are focusing too much on who has the chassis, I had the same letter for one of my Series 1's. I had given a back body to a friend which still had a number plate on it, a couple of months later I got the letter. I guess that as they had part of the body they assumed that the rest was scrapped.

At the time I figured it was someone hoping to sell the number?

How about this then?

Can you prove that the parts you have came from that particular chassis Les?

Although they did come from the vehicle they are not all individually stamped with the vin number. Unlike the chassis usually.

Just food for thought not trying to upset anyone.

I was of the belief that steering only made up 1 point BTW and wasnt aware that suspension had any.

I stand to be corrected.

SG

I was of the belief that steering only made up 1 point BTW and wasnt aware that suspension had any.

I stand to be corrected.

SG

42. The point system is weighted as follows; the original or new (direct replacement from the manufacturer) unmodified chassis/monocoque bodyshell has a value of 5, the suspension (front and back) 2, axles (both) 2, transmission 2, steering assembly 2, engine 1.

Taken from DVLA Website here

Keep us informed Les, wonder if they are getting better at fighting genuine (not you) crime or as of old, usual poor administration.

What happened to a friend of mine

Found a old camper Van dumped by Pykies

had chat with land owner who told him to take it a way.

it was in a hell of a state with no glass and very rotten etc.

sent off request for log book

got it back month later

started rebuild 18 moths later it was finished and when for MOT

on Route home from passed MOT

get pulled over by the police

arrested for driving a stolen camper van

banged up for the day.

Lost the camper which as sold off by the insurance company .......

Police not interested about him having the log book and he had done everything as far as he know was above board and had no idea that the camper was stolen some five years before....

Why did the DVLA not inform him the dumped camper was stolen when he applied for ownership papers.....

Good point Jules.

The v5 only shows the registered keeper it is not proof of ownership.

For this very reason I believe the V5 should be the same as the US "pink slip"

Does the DVLA have a duty to aquire and pass on the details of stolen vehicles?

SG

Les, whilst something dodgy may be going on it could be simple human error.

I got one of these letters some years back.

Phoned DVLA and someone pulled out the original paperwork.

Turned out there was difficulties in reading someones handwriting.

Must admit I had gone out and bought some extra security devices just in case soeone was thinking of lifting it.

Regards

Leeds