(sob) it's only 15mm (sob)

Les Henson

Well bad news as far as catflap's concerned. Although everything has lined-up ok on the passenger side - the drivers side has been very difficult (hole for the new doors is too narrow, wing was a swine to fit and the front edge of it is closer to the winch bumper than on the passenger side, fuel tank outrigger is in the wrong place to line up with the new tank (although the holes are still miles out)).

Anyway, with the help of Mark, we finally came to the conclusion that the rear crossmember (that I welded on) was 15mm too far forward on that side. As I had reinforced the new rear crossmember, blanked it off so that it wasn't a mud trap, added a tray for the Hi-Lift, and covered in the spring bush eyes, and then mega-welded the whole thing to the chassis legs - it's not really possible or worthwhile to try and salvage it.

So now I have to chop the chassis off at the rear, buy a new crossmember and reinforce it, then put the rear body back on again. The front end is pretty-much finished now - the DIY grille and lamp guards have grown on me, and I finished the passeneger wing/chequer plate top/snorkel/intercooler pipe guides only last night.

Can't believe I cocked up so badly, I'm normally so careful when welding.

This is a big set back. I can get the rear body off and the chassis chopped over the weekend, then a day to alter the new crossmember, and another day or two to weld it on and replace the body. The front end would definitely have been finished this week or early next week. And I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I kinda promised myself that I would have catflap finished for Tonys birthday bash, not so sure now.

Les. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Guest diesel_jim
And I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It was somebody with a torch bringing you more work!!

bad news Les. never mind, at least, well, i don't know what, but never mind! :)

Les

I do not know of anyone who does fabrication that hasn't dropped clangers like this in the past, and you definately won't be the last

Its a real downer when you have made a real effort to do a top job, Is there no way of cutting, stretching to the desired dimensions, then filling up the new gap with plate / welding ?

Give it another lookie 1st, pref when you have calmed down :(

Nige

Been there done that when I made a 109 hybrid but in my case I ended up using a longer bulk head bolt and spacing the bulk head forward with 4 thick washers, the front wasnt an issue with a standard bumper on it.

In my case things like this only hapen to me when I am doing it on my own vehicles, jobs for other people always seem to go a little smoother.

Hope it looks better for you in the morning.

Anyway, with the help of Mark, we finally came to the conclusion that the rear crossmember (that I welded on) was 15mm too far forward on that side.

As I had reinforced the new rear crossmember, blanked it off so that it wasn't a mud trap, added a tray for the Hi-Lift, and covered in the spring bush eyes, and then mega-welded the whole thing to the chassis legs - it's not really possible or worthwhile to try and salvage it.

Can't believe I cocked up so badly, I'm normally so careful when welding.

doesn't sound like your welding is the problem, it is your measuring :lol:

what a shame :angry: if it is wrong at the back, can you not fit panels from the front and somhow space the rear body or cut strip in the rear body .... deep dwon I know the asnwer is no and you've considered those options.

and don't feel so bad, I wouldn't have marked out positions for 3 rooflight in a garage roof, get the electric saw out and proceeed to cut the first hole in between them instead, no, now, way, not me.!! :rolleyes:

There's no realistic way I could 'fix' this without it looking bad, or maybe being weak due to excessive welding. Rear body and seat box are off, new crossmember is down the inventing shed, and is about to get armoured. :)

There's no real way you can lose a 15mm shortfall in chassis length. Too long, then yes, as body gaps are not uncommon.

The best way is to chop it and start again, I just hope that the new crossmember from Bearmach is the right shape. It does tend to be a lottery with their stuff sometimes. :(

Les. :)

Don't worry about the measurment cock-up, we've all done it, and spent a day redoing it all

Only a day eh! aint you the lucky one.

piccies please Les.

Ade

Rebuilding 90 to DIY truck cab, piccies on the way.

credits to Pritch1