CLUTCH HAS GONE SOFT

fekete

Hi guys got in the truck today and straight away the clutch felt soft......it still works fine but the pedal feels softer....any idea's if there is an adjuster some where.. the reason i ask is this has happened before and LR fixed the problem ?

It a 2007 defender 90

What,................ what a stupid design change then, for something which they should know fails regularly..!!

On my 300, the master cylinder started dripping on the floor one day, i fitted a brand new cyclinder the next day, 2 drives later the slave went, changed that, then a day later the actual clutch started slipping cos of the fluid (i guess) in the bellhousing..... it could just be a fluke........ so guess what, i fitted a new clutch on saturday, 7hrs start to finish, engine out and back in,.......:)

What,................ what a stupid design change then, for something which they should know fails regularly..!!

On my 300, the master cylinder started dripping on the floor one day, i fitted a brand new cyclinder the next day, 2 drives later the slave went, changed that, then a day later the actual clutch started slipping cos of the fluid (i guess) in the bellhousing..... it could just be a fluke........ so guess what, i fitted a new clutch on saturday, 7hrs start to finish, engine out and back in,.......:)

that because it's not a LR designed gearbox, but a Ford unit modded to fit with the transit engine, wonder how many transit owners/ford dealers have changed these slave cylinders.

Its a pretty standard design for modern cars tbh. Saves having pushrods, arms and other bits, just nail the slave directly inside the box.

You'll probably find the ZF box in the D3 and L322 uses the same style of slave too.

In modern vehicles they rarely ever fail, so it's probably a good idea in that respect.

Unfortunately Land Rovers have the impressive ability to make even normally reliable components fail at a much higher frequency.The normal slave cylinder arrangement is pretty good in my view, at least it's simple to change (in terms of major component removal, not fiddly-ness!)

• 2 weeks later...

Right Guys i thought i'd keep you updated on this slave cylinder...LR have agreed to give 50% off fitting the new slave ? JAMES EDWARDS CHESTER want £780 all in. independent £280 all in.... you work out the sums its cheaper for me to pay an independent in full than go halves with LR icon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gif robin T...s

Right Guys i thought i'd keep you updated on this slave cylinder...LR have agreed to give 50% off fitting the new slave ? JAMES EDWARDS CHESTER want £780 all in. independent £280 all in.... you work out the sums its cheaper for me to pay an independent in full than go halves with LR icon_rolling.gificon_rolling.gif robin T...s

True, however, the mere fact that Land ROver have offered to pay half, is them admitting liability...... if you get it fixed at an independant, LR won;t then be offering anything next time round.... god forbid it should happen again, but it is after-all a land rover.... so anything is possible...! for the sake of £100, i'd rather have land rover do it, and have their warranty on the job....