Front Springs....Fitting a Winch and Bull Bar on a 110CSW

I've gone a bought a full bull bar and winch.

I currently have Genuine 110 STD yellow/yellow springs on the front. It should be Yellow/Yellow and a White/White but theres hardly any difference.

I have Genuine 110 HD Red/Greens on the back, again as a pair and not with the Red/Red on the other side.

Whats the recommened change for a winch on the front and combine this with a large bull bar? Should i go up to HD Fronts i.e. Yellow/White ?

I'm not now mounting my wheel on the bonnet as this will go on the roof so i don't have even more weight on there.

Any advice on this and fitting the winch will be greatfully received.

Thanks

Neill

The OE springs are progressive, with a low rate to begin with, then climbing to 210lb/in as the springs compress.

The HD ones are a linear rate of 225lb/inch, so while the final rate isnt much different, they wont compress as much as they dont have the softer bit in them, but as a result the ride will likely become quite a bit stiffer.

The 110 HD fronts are just 90 rear springs, so they're probably quite easy to find a set and try them out.

You will definately need to change the springs to maintain a decent ride height. Before I had my lift I added a modest bumper and a lowline winch and the front end dropped by around 1 inch.

What do you use the car for? Do you have a need in the future for a lift?

no need for a lift.

Its off round the world (if its ever ready). So its manly on road in the UK and will be on road most of its life. Although a lot of the roads won't be up to much in some of the places we are going. The bars are purely to give front protection for various countries where animals roam free.

• 2 years later...

Ok so rather than write a new thread I thought I’d resurrect this old one as my query is similar.

Am just about to bolt my (nearly) refurbed front axle to the chassis, and realised the original springs are a) quite flaky, probably the original ones and therefore 20yrs old so likely to have sagged b) possibly not up to the task of supporting the weight of my winch and bumper combo. This has yet to be purchased, but it will be more of an ‘insurance policy’ winch than a competition-warn-double-motor-Giggle-name-thing, after all I am driving a 110! In other words we’re looking at a Goodwinch or an Ebay special, which lists its mass as 43 kg. Factor in the bumper and moose-bar – which I probably will fabricate myself, but lets be generous and assume 20 kg – so 63 kg extra noseweight (assuming the factory fit girder weighs nothing – which by Land Rover standards, it does!).

So what springs to fit? At the back I’ve put in the later CSW progressive springs (RKB101111). 110 Heavy Duty? (NRC9448 Driver, NRC9449 Passenger) Any other suggestions, based on experience?

I've got 90 rear springs on the front of my 110 sw utility, I certainly wouldn't call the ride stiff. If anything it's only slightly firmer than with the old ones.

Tubular bumper with a Warn xd, steering guard and a hefty roof rack, with late csw springs on the rear, handling is spot on, just need some better dampers.

Go with HDs up front Matt.

For comparison, ARB list their bumper at IIRC 30-35kg and Warn list an M8000 at IIRC 30kg. I would imagine a home made bumper to be in the same region and I think it would be silly to go foe anything other than HD springs on the front :)

G

When i rebuilt my 90 i bought 4 rear springs. I have a very heavy winch bumper. To heavy really. But this made a world of difference so go for it. It also makes the ride feel much better. Tho my 20 year old springs were properly cream crackered and when used to brake hard the tyres would touch the wing archs.