Canadians - Good UK Parts Source?

Guys:

In comparing UK versus NA parts sources for my son's recently acquired ex-MOD Defender, it initially looks that UK parts sources are the way to go. They stock what looks to be "everything" and more importantly have the 2.5NA parts that we are going to need for our restoration. For the most part we just need the odd gaskets, trim bits and bobs, but I can see a door(s) and dash top in the process as well In past for my Rovers, I've dealt with folks like Rover North but are there any UK sources that ship to Canada and do so at reasonable cost, delivery time, and overall effort?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

Bill

Both of these will send parts out of UK.

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/pages/contact.php

http://www.paddockspares.com/sitepage/ContactPage.html

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/conditions/shipping/#faq1

best to check delivery terms/conditions before ordering.

landi41 [Dave] is in Glenwood, N.B. (Maritime) Canada other LR mates & himself often have a ISO container shipped over full of parts they need, might be worth getting in contact & see if you can join thier parts shipping group.

Tony Smith in NB brings in a container once a year. I only suggest that you watch the quality of the parts that you have sent over. There are plenty of threads on many forums of which supplier to avoid like the black plague and those that you can trust.

Todd.

I've used both Paddocks and Craddocks - even had a pair of side windows off Craddocks ebay site that shipped pretty reasonably 

However it seems like shipping has got more expensive recently (or maybe it just seems more in GBP because of the exchange rate). 

The thing that *really* bugs me about some UK suppliers (and one of the other big NA suppliers recently) is waiting a week in anticipation and finding... the dreaded blue box. The cost of international shipping makes the difference between genuine and pattern parts not worth the savings imo - I haven't used them yet but my next parts order will probably be with Brit-Car because they are *clear* about genuine vs OEM vs pattern

For engine parts I go straight to Turner Engineering now - they are very easy to deal with and are experienced in shipping anywhere in the world - even shipped head parts direct to the machine shop for me one time - also they fully support the 2.5NA which is pretty much extinct as far as the regular UK suppliers are concerned. Ashcrofts similarly for transmission parts (although I recently got a clutch from Rovers North and they were very helpful).

For used bits and bobs there is also Mike at Britannica Restorations in Sherbrooke Quebec and Michael Foers in Ontario who advertises on LRX sometimes (got my truck cab from him)

Good luck

John H.

Having tried and got the hump with the various incompetence, poor attitude, poor websites of Paddocks, Craddocks and LRSeries I'm now spending my hard earned with BritCar and so far pretty happy.

They did send some "OE" UJ's which turned out to be Britpart-boxed in the last order, which I phoned them up and grumbled about, but Duncan maintained they were decent (the Britpart numbers had "G" on the end and at least one had GKN written on it), but it's very hard to trust anything in a blue box these days.

I think if I were on the other side of the world I'd be buying Genuine as much as possible to avoid dissapointment / lengthy delays.

They did send some "OE" UJ's which turned out to be Britpart-boxed in the last order, which I phoned them up and grumbled about, but Duncan maintained they were decent (the Britpart numbers had "G" on the end and at least one had GKN written on it), but it's very hard to trust anything in a blue box these days.

I ordered pretty much all the parts to rebuild my Series III from Britcar, and a lot of the OEM parts come Britpart packaged. I had the same concerns, but Duncan assured me too that they were the real deal. They just buy them through Britpart as a distributor. Makes sense I suppose, as they can buy in bulk and save on the hassle of ordering from lots of different OEM manufacturers.

I've had Timken wheel & swivel bearings, GKN UJs, Corteco oil seals, and Delphi TREs from Britcar. All ordered as OEM, and all supplied by Britpart.

If I was abroad I'd be buying pretty much everything genuine though.

That is very true. I know that GKN make a number of UJs in the correct fitment for a Defender, but at different levels of strength. I think a lot of places will buy the cheaper lower-spec ones that are the same size in terms of fitment, but perhaps they have smaller needle rollers, or no grease nipple. I try and use TVC100010, which is the heavier duty one :)

Thanks everyone for the very useful feedback. We begin removing the body off the 110 this coming weekend! Last time I did this I was 30 years old and it took me over a year to get it all back together. This time I'm 57, older and wiser and the kid is the one whose 28. Hopefully this thing will not be in my barn as long as the last time.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill