Headlight Conversion to Halogen

Ring and Wipac are ok. Bear in mind that the new headlamp may well have a hole in it for a side light, which doesn't usually get used. If you go off road, then water will inevitably find it's way inside the lamp and blow the bulb and strip the refector coating off.

Les.

Thanks Bowie69, will definately check these out before upgrading, need to check out suitable wattage so I dont blow circuits

don't use anything with more than 60watt dip & 65 main beam, the wiring will not take kindly to 100/80 or higher -- it gets to hot & melts the plugs on back of headlights plus anything above 60/65 is illegal for UK road use.

the crystal lense headlights are very good.

I have the Wipac Halogens with the polycarbonate lens just like modern cars, they are unbreakable and with the rear reflector a lot better than the glass type. I also use them in my Minis and my Mini Miglia race car, you would be amazed what a bashing they will take!

Miglia

Vehicle Lighting Regs (1986 or 87) prohibit the use of bulbs above 80 watts I think, 24volt bulbs are about that IIRC but for practicality anything above 60/55 is not adviseable. If your truck predates the regs you can fit whatever you like!

If you use high-power bulbs then the wiring needs to be tip-top or you will loose more preformance due to losses in the wiring than you will gain by fitting high power bulbs.

Halogen bulbs suffer badly from running at low voltages.

Vehicle Lighting Regs (1986 or 87) prohibit the use of bulbs above 80 watts I think, 24volt bulbs are about that IIRC but for practicality anything above 60/55 is not adviseable. If your truck predates the regs you can fit whatever you like!

If you use high-power bulbs then the wiring needs to be tip-top or you will loose more preformance due to losses in the wiring than you will gain by fitting high power bulbs.

Halogen bulbs suffer badly from running at low voltages.

Thanks for all the input - I have done a bit more research and have found that Halogens give:

100% effeciency at 13.5Volts ( 12volt system is actually about 13.2Volts)

83% efficiency at 12.85Volts

67% efficiency at 12.15Volts

53% efficiency at 11.5Volts

So you guys are correct when you say that the wiring has to be in tip top condition and fitting of relays is a must.

post-19814-082882000 1287561743_thumb.jpg

Also bear in mind you can get +90% and i think even +100% brightness bulbs.

i have the +90's in our 110 and they do make a difference, they're brighter with whiter light, and they don't put the wiring under any strain.

i got ours from Autobulbs Direct, ordered from them several times and always good service, even get a free t-shirt for my workshop wardrobe sometimes! :)