salisbury to 4-pin?

ajh

On an expedition 110 is there any compelling reason not to fit the lighter 4-pin HD Rover rear axle in favour of the Salisbury? 32" tires, lots of highway use and the new rear would be one with discs etc already vs converting the Salisbury.

Yes it is, but is it too weak for the application? I can re-use the sals when I do a 100" offroader on big tires next year easily enough and cutting what, near 200lbs from the unsprung rear weight couldn't be a bad thing.

Has anyone had problems with the 4-pin rear breaking with 32" tires at all even?

There were problems with diffs on Tdci Defenders, although I think it was relating to front ones.

Personally I'd keep and upgrade the Salisbury. Or replace it with another disc-braked one. Easy enough to do and you get a nice strong (practically unbreakable under normal circumstances) diff and much stronger (24-spline) shafts than standard.

the late Td5's & newer use a variant of the P38RR/XD-Wolf rear axle.

Which is what the original question regards!

There are no issues with fitting this type of axle to your 110" Landrover have been doing it for 7 or 8 years now! Re: the halfshafts there is NOTHING special about salisbury halfshafts! they (apart from lengths) are FA different than the 04> ones.

Parts are cheaper by ALOT for the later type axle aswell.

Steve

i think in your neck of the woods you have a bit more scope for playing with the sals as you can buy some dana 60 bits for it. personal preference i suppose, i would think its not worth your money or effort to change and your wieght saving seems a bit optimistic, but perhaps i'm wrong.