winches

dazwell24

hello guys and girls im a complete novice to winches yet i am just about to buy one for my 90 can anyone give me the pros and cons of hydraulic vs electric other than price lol ;) and i have been offered 2 electric winches off 2 mates who have bout them and never got around to putting them on to there truck one is a ELECTRIC WINCH 12,500lb 12V WINCHMAX and the other is T-MAX WINCH 12,500Ibs OUTBACK any pointers would be much appreciated as i wouldn't know the difference between a cheapy ebay thing to a decent comp winch :rolleyes::P

many thanks dazwell24

hello guys and girls im a complete novice to winches yet i am just about to buy one for my 90 can anyone give me the pros and cons of hydraulic vs electric other than price lol ;) and i have been offered 2 electric winches off 2 mates who have bout them and never got around to putting them on to there truck one is a ELECTRIC WINCH 12,500lb 12V WINCHMAX and the other is T-MAX WINCH 12,500Ibs OUTBACK any pointers would be much appreciated as i wouldn't know the difference between a cheapy ebay thing to a decent comp winch :rolleyes::P

many thanks dazwell24

David boyer's TDS Goldfish range are highley rocomended for the money, dont waste your money on a carp thing that will let you down when you most need it,

Carl.

After much musing on the very same question you pose now, I decided to go for a TDS as above. Then in the future upgrade to a bigger winch on the front (maybe hydro maybe not) and put the TDS on the rear.

Of course that's all changed now as the 90 is no longer a pure off-roader, but the plan was still there!

• 1 month later...

start as you mean to go on, get a second hand 8274, service it when you get it, run it till it dies and upgrade it with whatever breaks or when buget allows, put a gigglepin mainshaft in it, and a new motor.

i got mine for 450 off ebay, got an allbright copy solenoid for 50 quid at a show and got an xp motor from here for 165. my plasma was one of the cheap ebay efort for 140quid with hook and fair lead.

cheap winching imo.

the expensive part was making a bumper to suit my ibex. but a 90, youll not have that problem!

my plasma was one of the cheap ebay efort for 140quid with hook and fair lead.

Thats fine if your just using your winch for play day recoveries.

But in some events where you have to hang your truck from its winch i wouldn't recommend it.

I have seen a band new ebay winch rope snap on its first use more than once....