The Death wobble vists me. Need HELP Urgently.

Prith

Guys ,

Need your help!

I recently changed the upper steering joint, lower steering shaft and lower steering joint (ALL OEM) as they were a totally gone. My mechanic also tightened all the bolts/nuts on the front shocks and back shocks as they were loose.

Took the Defender 110 to my farm last Saturday and on Sunday when I wanted to leave saw that my right front tyre had a totally flat. Hence changed it and replaced it with my spare tyre. Came out of the farm on to the main road and suddenly got a massive wobble as if the front tyres were going to pop out any time. Checked the nuts and they were all tight. This was the first time I got this massive wobble. Shook me up a bit. Was doing about 40Km or so.

Later reached the main expressway and had no problem at all.

This Saturday had to go to a city about 400km each way and out of this the first 150 km is a fantastic expressway and was doing about 80-100Km and had no problem or wobble. The remaining road is a state highway and not that good, lot of potholes and uneven road. After I did about 20Km more the horrible front wheel wobble again appeared and this time I was doing about 80km, immediately braked and slowed down and the wobble disappeared. Got down totally shaken and checked all the track rod ends, steering damper and shocks everything seemed ok. Oh! By the way I had replaced the spare with the original punctured tyre, so it was the same tyre which was there from the start. Also had to crawl back at 40-60KM/HR the remaining KMS. Again coming back the last 150KM expressway, I could do 90-110KM/Hour and no wobble, however if there was a bad patch in the road then the wobble appeared and this time at 80km and it shook the Landy very much, just eased it and drove back at 40km.

Carried on and again this kept happening between 40-60km per hour and could not go above these speeds as front wheels would wobble like mad. This happens especially on bad roads or when there is a bad patch in the road. On perfect flat roads it never happened. Something I noticed that when it was wobbling & if I shook the steering wheel from left to right and versa the wobbling stopped, but this was only at slow speeds and not at high speeds. The tyre pressure was ok in both tyres.

Am not sure if my track rod ends are knackered or this is because of the steering damper or the tightening of the front shocks. Also the swivel joints and ball seem ok after 159000 kms. Am not sure if the previous owner has ever changed the shocks and springs! I am the fourth owner. But all the bushes have been changed to BLUE polybush one a year back and I never had this problem at all.

I have brand new grease able track rod ends and new swivel kits (excluding the swivel ball). Can this be a problem because of the swivels? The right one was leaking though. Not sure whether I need to change the track rod ends, swivel balls and kits & steering dampers! Yes my tyres are pretty old and hard, but I have been running the Landy for over three years with them and never had this problem.

Would appreciate if someone more technical than me can help me solve this problem, would be highly appreciated for a quick response. Now I feel scared to drive my 110. Was going to take the entire family for a long holiday with some off-roading involved too. Now am too scared to cause any injury to anyone or my family unless I sort this issue out.

Rgds

Prith

I would suggest swivel preloads, or as it is occuring on rough roads more than smooth, it's quite possible the dampers are not damping any more.

Do the preloads first (cheapest) and see how it improves it, then look at swapping some dampers from another known good truck to try, or just use it as an excuse to buy some nice new ones :)

At that mileage, given the use you suggest it is put to, I wouldn't be surprised if the swivels needed an overhaul TBH, long, mucky, and relatively costly job I am afraid.... but don't jump in at the deep end!

Thanks guys. I replaced the spare wheel back with the original and the problem was still there. Tomorrow am removing the front shocks and damper to check if they are ok.

I have the swivel kits minus the swivel balls, all track rod ends and also the drop arm track rod. Will check everything else, will change the swivel balls plus kit, track rod ends, drop arm track rod, steering damper to RTC Terrafirma, panhard bushes etc and then see. Will first try the panhard bushes and see.

Can't even drive my landy above 40km and I use it everyday. How I wish I was in the UK.

Had a hideous wobble on my bobtail years ago, would shake the wheel from your hands almost, once it had started, 40mph and a bump would set it off.

Turned out to be the output shaft on the steering box, was leaking a normal! small amount, but the bearing had play in it, would resonate and upset

the feel of the steering, stripped and changed the bearing, new seals and it has worked for the last 15 or more years with no leaks!! altho probably

easier to fit a new box. Get someone to shake the steering wheel and see if the shaft moves in the box from side to side.

just because something was replaced xx mths ago doesnot mean it isnt the cause.

I would be assuming all the above sugesstions in that wheel bearings are iffy, panhard bushes iffy etc and check all of them. after all you have a problem which is making the vehicle un drivable.

Ok guys, went under the vehicle and asked someone to move the steering to each side. No shakes what so ever. However decided to tight all bolts and noticed that the steering box bolts were loose especially where the drop arm is. Tightened all everything basically, damper, shocks, track rod ends, radius arm ends both sides, etc. Took her out for a spin and there was less wobble, but its still there.

Took out the steering damper and noticed that its very easy to compress and uncompress it. Looks like it shot, so will change this to the Terrafirma RTC Defender steering damper ( as I plan to use 35" BFG MT/KM2 or MAXXIS BIG HORNs later).

Any opinions on the Terrafirma RTC versus OME SD32 damper? Also checked the panhard rod and bushes all ok and nice and tight.

Ok guys, went under the vehicle and asked someone to move the steering to each side. No shakes what so ever. However decided to tight all bolts and noticed that the steering box bolts were loose especially where the drop arm is. Tightened all everything basically, damper, shocks, track rod ends, radius arm ends both sides, etc. Took her out for a spin and there was less wobble, but its still there.

Took out the steering damper and noticed that its very easy to compress and uncompress it. Looks like it shot, so will change this to the Terrafirma RTC Defender steering damper ( as I plan to use 35" BFG MT/KM2 or MAXXIS BIG HORNs later).

Any opinions on the Terrafirma RTC versus OME SD32 damper? Also checked the panhard rod and bushes all ok and nice and tight.

I had this wobbly and very "unsafe" steering on my RRC, changed - like you did - everything, bushes ([steering damper] of a job!), links, including the steering damper, which felt too easy to move, no change at all. Adjusted swivel pins etc. no change. What was left was the steering box. Bit of expensive thing, but in the end I bought a new. Result: Smooth steering, no wobble, no drifting over the lanes...

two of us here had it bad, anywhere from 40 - 55 mph roughly and changed wheels round / another set and perfect. we both run simex. in the end i bought two new simex tyres stuck them on the front as minue they were 5 years plus and now perfect :)

OME everytime.