Stripped threads where fan belt tensioner bolts in

Disty

So in a moment of stupidity, I was trying to put the tensioner on with the belt in the way, which led to me pulling the threaded bolt (ETC4873) out of the front of the engine (not sure what part).

Now when I run the engine the tensioner works loose and kills the belt, stripping it in a matter of minutes.

How can I fix this? I've thought about using liquid metal to keep the bolt in, but would that be strong enough? My other idea is to get a piece machined where the thread on the end is larger diameter, and tapping the inside of the casting.

It must be pretty soft metal!

Would one of those hand heli-coil kits do it? Like this one:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/armstrong-eco-kit-thread-repair-kit-m8-x-1-25

I could get it to a machine shop, but I don't fancy taking everything back out so they can get to it? Is the tool big? I'd first have to find a temporary solution so I could drive it back home haha!

Thanks matey

They might well do it, yep. Not used those specific ones before, be worth getting an opinion of someone who has....?

As for getting it home/to a machine shop, how far is it? If just a few miles and you are a diesel you may well get away with driving with no belt attached, just watch the temp gauge.

If this is a 300tdi, and you have a bolt it's not the same as mine. I have a stud & nut.If you could get the same, you may find there is thread beyond what is damaged, and you could wind in the stud further (careful not to do further damage) then tighten the nut onto the tensioner. Or you may also find a Whitworth or maybe even UNC bolt that is a tighter fit that could get you home. Maybe 1/2" Whit? I'd take the bolt to an engineering supplier; however it's not a substitute for proper repair with helicoils. If you want to try 'liquid metal' (be sure to degrease well) JBWeld is supposed to be really tough stuff. Good luck!

Nigel

Ok so I got the kit, comes with a tap, mini wrench for the tap and a correctly sized drill bit.

I'm properly papping myself on this one- If it goes wrong I can't get it MOT'd and it's another week gone!

I have no fan or cowl so I should be able to get to it with the drill to get the old threads out.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow night when I have the news!

I've had this problem too, a helicoil does fix it. Make sure you are dead square to the face when drilling and tapping. We found to get enough space to be accurate we had to drop the radiator out :( But otherwise a simple fix.

Ben

I've just repaired mine after the same problem. I just flipped the assembly over, drilled out the hole, ground out the web at the back to hold the side of the head of a bolt, and that was it, job done.

LR do this with prop bolts, so I'm sure it's fine. I had thought of coiling the hole, but could not be arsed, and a bolt fitted 'backwards' holds to torque fine.

Ah a bolt, good idea. Dunno how you got it through that gap though?

The good news is that this is now fixed.

It was still stripping new fan belts very badly though. Fortunately before I put my old one back on (that used to squeal) we spotted the disc on the alternator was dipping into the line of the fan belt, thus shredding it. We fixed it, did the helicoil, put everything back and it worked a treat.

Just about to update the other thread.

I can't get pics on cos I've lost the cable!

Thank you to everybody, good helpful advice!