Which Suspension Kit?

bails

Hi,

First post on here, live in the west mids and I've recently purchased a TD5 90 only 3 weeks ago, Ive got the bug and im thinking about a few modifications.

The 90 booked into have a rear hub seal replaced and a full polybush kit fitted. The shocks are origional and after 150K Ive decided it wont hurt to change them. The thing is Ive now started to look at various suspension kits.

Ill use the 90 for mainly road/motorway use towing a heavy trailer 2/3 times a month and hopefully some green laning and novice off roading at some pay and play sites,

Im interested to find what suspension set ups people would suggest? Would a heavy duty spring set be too hard for every day use unloaded?

Thanks

Bails, Welcome to the forum-if you haven't done so already go to the tech archive and have a good look in there, you'll find all sorts of information on what you may require and if not-I'm sure someone will offer you there opinion shortly

But just to be aware you maybe opening up a can of super huge worms with what you've asked laugh.gif

HTH

If you ask me, the standard suspension will do you fine. Definitely in terms of springs. Dampers if you want to change them that won't hurt, and should improve on-road handling. The Polybush kits vary in quality and firm-ness (SuperPro ones are the most often recommended that I've seen).

The use you describe is exactly what the vehicle was designed for, if you were going to be running full loaded most of the time I would say heavy duty springs would be in order, but I think you'd be perfectly happy with the standard setup for your needs.

Thanks for you comments, Ive ordered a hd duty suspension kit from mailorder 4x4 with procomp shocks and the bearmach bushes set I should have them fitted by the middle of next week.

I decided to try the hd springs as I do carry 1/2ton or more a few times a week.

The question is now what else to buy? Im thinking a steering guard and diff protectors, are the towing eyes fitted to some steering guards suitable for off road recovery?

• 2 weeks later...

Although Mr Bails has made his decision on this, I would like to give this thread a bump as I'm interested to hear more of your opinions.

My 90 is becoming a bit soft in the corners and I have been considering changing the bushes. Anderzander (above) recommends using the original bushes over the Polybush bushes but I was under the impression that Polybush had an excellent reputation.

Failing that, I assume the next step is replacing the dampers. Is this what you would do or would you change the lot in one go?

Many thanks

JB

JB

Searching on-line will reveal a lot of different feelings about Poly Bushes.

Perhaps one way to think of it is that your OE spec bushes have lasted over 18 years - and when they are in good condition work very very well. Cheap poly bushes don't seem to last a fraction of that time and can ruin the ride. Superpro seem to be the one exception - perhaps on the basis that they have done some proper R&D work on what degree of flex is required in what location. ?

For shocks you want something with good damping - its quite feasible that 18 years on yours are worn out!. Standard shocks work very well from new though and I'd only suggest fitting a different type if you want longer suspension travel.

Thanks guys for the advice, if I do go for a suspension change at some point I think I may well consider going for more travel as I'd really like to do some more off-roading and maybe even some trials later on. It seems Terrafirma get the nod in this respect.

It is true that my genuine bushes have lasted a long time (I am assuming that the previous owner never changed them) so I may very well go with them rather than polybushes. However, it does seem that SuperPro are the ones to go for if polybush is your choice. I've had a search on the internet and it seems that few people have a bad experience of them.

How does the amount of travel compare between standard suspension and say a 2" lift Terrafirma kit? Is it noticeable and does it make much difference in terms of performance? On the other hand, are there any downsides to fitting such a kit?

cheers

JB

BIN the polybushes...do a search here, mine fell apart in months, genuine all the way

I wouldn't fit then my Wheelbarrow :(

If you wnat more movment 6 x 8mm Drill Holes in a circle makes a vast difference, and still they haven't fallen apart 2 years on

Best off the shelf system IMVHO Old Man Emu, followed prob Terra firma, but both are a compromise, best to sit work out wnat you wnat and

then build what you wnat, I think it was SteveG here who said Red & White Genuines all round are a great cheap kit, he's right OME is lovely but spendy

and linmits off road flex.

HTH

Nige

It's also worth ensuring you know the difference between fitting a lift kit and having longer travel suspension - as they aren't the same thing.

A lift only lifts the body and chassis away from the axles - it doesn't increase clearance under the axle / diff ..... although it does allow you to fit very large tyres, which would increase clearance under the axle / diff. You can also lift your vehicle and end up with less suspension travel.

Personally I run 265/75 x 16's tyres - with no lift - but suspension modified for long travel.

Have a read of this excellent thread in the tech archive

It's also worth ensuring you know the difference between fitting a lift kit and having longer travel suspension - as they aren't the same thing.

A lift only lifts the body and chassis away from the axles - it doesn't increase clearance under the axle / diff ..... although it does allow you to fit very large tyres, which would increase clearance under the axle / diff. You can also lift your vehicle and end up with less suspension travel.

Personally I run 265/75 x 16's tyres - with no lift - but suspension modified for long travel.

Have a read of this excellent thread in the tech archive

I'd advise before throwing a load of money on (admittedly nice!) toys, make sure you've got a few hundred quids worth of security on it.

How gutted will you be if you spend a grand or two on it only to have it nicked because you relied on the standard pretty carp immobilser?

Defenders are one of the most nickable vehicles out there.

HELLO.I AM NEW IN YOUR FAMOUS COMPANY AND I AM FROM GREECE.I OWN A DEFENDER TD5 110.I SAW YOUR SUBJECT AND BECAUSE I AM LOOKING FOR A SUTABLE SOLUTION TO THIS MATTER I TRY TO SAY YOU MY SMALL EXPERIENCE UNTILL NOW.I TRY THE ORIGINAL SUSPENSION PLUS PRITPART CELULAR 2" SUSPENSION WITH QT RADIOUS ARMS WITH BALL JOINT.THE SPRINGS ARE HEAVY DUTY.THE SHOCKS ARE THE LONG ONES.THE RESULT WAS EXCELLENT ROAD BEHAVIOR (ALMOST LIKE A SPORT CAR IN DEFENDER STYLE) GOOD DIRT FLAT OUT BEHAVIOR BUT NO ARTICULATION AT ALL.NOW I THING TO TRY TERRAFIRMA EXTRA LONG SHOCK ABSORBERS WITH SOFTER SPRINGS.ON THE REAR FIRST AND TO LOOK HOW IT WILL BE BEHAVE.IF YOU HAVE A BETTER SOLUTION I WILL LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU.SORRY FOR MY POOR ENLISH

Edited by western
Welcome, but Please use lowercase typing, Capitals is like shouting loud.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I assumed that to achieve further travel you would need to have a lift so pleased to hear that's not necessarily the case. I have 265/75 16r tyres for the extra ground clearance too so am not seeking to (mistakenly) try and increase ground clearance by way of a lift as I'm aware that the suspension sits on top of the axle, a fact that some newbies don't seem to realise :lol:

Thanks too for the advice re: security. While I agree with you and have certain measures in place already, during my training (solicitor) I did a seat in criminal law and some of the methods of vehicle theft I came across make the mind reel. I have seen cases where a crane has been used to lift 4x4's onto a flatbed truck, where car thieves have used several vehicles to pull a parked 4x4 away, literally dragging it off down the road, theft of a running vehicle at gun/knife point, not to mention a bunch of lads trying to push a car down the road on trolly jacks (that method didn't work!!). I have accepted that someday, someone will want to steal my Land Rover and despite my best efforts, if they really want it, they WILL get it. That said, anything you can do to complicate or slow the procedure may give you an extra chance of preventing the loss of your truck.

I've taken the poly bushes out my challenge truck and gone back to normal landrover ones with a couple holes drilled in....A lot more movement. (never driven it on a tarmac road, so can't comment on handling).

Old man emu springs are very nice :) Got mine from Gwyn Lewis. He can supply all you need.

G

Thanks Zim, I've heard the name Gwyn Lewis mentioned on here a lot so I will check out his webite.

I've just read the excellent thread in the tech archive (link provided above by Anderzander). There's a lot to take into consideration when you are thinking about suspension. I didn't really consider the effect further travel would have on other parts of the truck (ie. your props) so it was very useful to read. I recommend that any newbie considering altering their suspension gives it a read before doing anything.

just to add to what has been said above and in the tech archive -

a lift does not increase your suspension travel!!!!!!!!!!

Being able to utilise the full stroke of your shock absorbers is what gives you maximum suspension travel. Super hard or very long lift springs may actually reduce your articulation as it may prevent up travel and you end up wasting 2" or more of your shocks movement.

Unless you want to fit massive tyres (+33") then i would highly recommend you stick to standard springs and bumpstops. On a normally loaded defender, the springs are more than suitable and give good road and offroad handling whilst being able to compress all 4 corners up to the bumpstops offroad to give maximum articulation. Unless you fit a cage and big bumper/winches or regularly carry a tonne of concrete about then the standard springs are perfect.

Then decide what additional down travel you need/want and buy the appropriate length shock. If required buy the appropriate top shock mounts to prevent bottoming the shock out when the axle hits the bumpstops. If required buy some spring relocators so they dont fall out on full downtravel.

Unless you want enormous amounts of downtravel, the standard radius arms will be fine and you wont get binding of the bushes. If you do want mega travel, i;m sure Xeng will alleviate you of some hard earned for a set of Xarms.

Then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your spending.