Insurance - one to watch

LandyManLuke

This is an interesting one. I've insured my 90 with Adrian Flux for the last 5 or 6 years, with no issues and good customer service.

This year, the policy was renewed semi-automatically, and was cheaper than last year, which with the current insurance climate was pretty good I thought. Today the policy documents arrived and I found the following clause.

We will not pay for any claim under section 2 (loss of or damage damage to your vehicle) for theft or attempted theft of your vehicle unless an anti-theft immobilising device that immobilises the engine of your vehicle is fitted and is in operation when your vehicle is left unattended

Now given that the engine is a 200tdi, that you can't effectively immobilise, regardless of whether or not you fit an immobiliser, the above isn't all that useful on an insurance document!

I rang Adrain Flux and explain the above, and also that I haven't had the clause on the 3 previous sets of documents I was able to find, and they have said they will remove it and re-issue the documents.

I wonder how many other renewed policies have extra clauses added that go unnoticed?

Another one to watch is commercial policies are removing from fully comp policies the right to drive any other vehicle (third party). It's started and will be industry standard by next year. You can phone and ask them to add it back on, but all of them said no to me :(

i very nearly got caught on this one martin, driving a mates landy back to the house for repair and got stopped and they wanted to see ins for the vehicle i was driving as it wasnt mine, dug out my recently renewed (5 years with them) read the policy and they had removed the other vehicle part!! luckily i have an open driven policy on the missus car so produced that instead. when i rang them they said it was now std practice to remove it and it could be put back on for an additional fee!! the renewal was the same as the year before with less cover and they want more to add it back on :blink:

i very nearly got caught on this one martin,

People didn't believe me when I told them...of course, it's always "just your company" :rolleyes:

I did read that it is common practice in Ireland now, and the rest of the EU, and the UK are starting to follow to come into line with that. By the end of next year ALL policies will be like this :( It's a PITA

I'm sure an ignition key is an immobilising device. So as long as you do not leave the key in the ignition, the vehicle engine is immobilised by a recognised device.

I've also been told that by an insurer but that was a few years ago, don't know if 'they' take the same view these days though, best check with your IC.

Can confirm all companies are removing the additional TPFT insurance cover to drive other vehicles. when i got my truck i rang my broker on the monday to get cover, asked when i would be collecting it for cover to start, I said it's on my drive now. then told my other car insurance no longer had cover for other vehicles and this was std in the industry now.

watch out for wording on replacement cars as well. There is now a rapid removal of the courtesy car benefits. As soon as they decide it's not repairable the car goes back (the garage is paying for the car anyway not the insurer)then you have no transport till you get cheque out of them. equally some are now limited to a few days.

I had replacement car cover and when my own car was stolen Cornhill sent me a cheque (for £32) in settlement of the claim by return of post, even before the offer letter arrived. Because they had settled they said I was no longer entitled to a replacement car. That fully comp policy was a waste of money.