Metal cutting

reb78

The speed of the abrasive cut off saws is usually much faster , about 3000rpm, compared to about 1450rpm for the metal bladed cut saws, and the vices or clamps on the abrasive ones are far inferior to the metal chop saws. And the arbour size for the disc is usally a different size to the metal blades.

I have a normal cheapish chop saw from B&Q. Can you convert these to cut metal by changing the blade, or are the metal chop saws a special type?

You may find the blade bore size is different on metal to wood blades and the RPM will probably be faster on a wood saw, personaly dont do it, wood saws are for wood,

Carl.

I bought one of these recently at B&Q as it was only £99 (though with my luck it is cheaper now) and have been using it in my workshop.

evolution_rage3.jpg

The blade is a different bore to wood saws and the saw runs slower then a wood saw.

You will need one of these too as it throws hot metal chops back into your face and hair, and it is bleeding noisy.

195949_lg.gif

I bought one of these recently at B&Q as it was only £99 (though with my luck it is cheaper now) and have been using it in my workshop.

evolution_rage3.jpg

The blade is a different bore to wood saws and the saw runs slower then a wood saw.

You will need one of these too as it throws hot metal chops back into your face and hair, and it is bleeding noisy.

195949_lg.gif

I saw that when i was searching for blades last night (just to see it it was a possibility). Might look into it further when i have a bit of cash spare, but think i'll give up on the idea of using my current saw a miss (i suspect from what folk have said that the thing would grab at the metal and it could be pretty dangerous!!). I just saw them using the machines on scrapheap challenge last sunday and wondered if they were special kit, or adapted wood saws. Looks like a neat way to get square cuts on pipework and lengths of metal though.

The saws you see on Scrapheap challange are specific bits of kit and use an abrasive disk (much like an angle grinder). I have an aluminium blade that I have used in a wood saw before, but never been very keen on it as it sends swarf everywhere, and as the chop saw i have is not very well sealed I am concerned about causing the motor to fail by taking in chunks of swarf. Mine doesn't give a very tidy cut either.

You can get a cheapish abrasive cut off from clarkes, something like this;

Cut off saw

I was lucky enough to pick up a 'non working' cold saw at last years capel 4x4 autojumble, like this:

Lovely meddings saws

They are fab! Great if you can find one.

"Fury" are the hobby ones (green)

"Rage" are the proffessional ones (orange)

The green ones aren't as powerful and the clamping mechanisms aren't as strong.... ask me how i know!!!:o

I have a Rage II and it's superb - I haven't had to change the blade since I bought it and it's seen a fair amount of use during my build....

"Fury" are the hobby ones (green)

"Rage" are the proffessional ones (orange)

The green ones aren't as powerful and the clamping mechanisms aren't as strong.... ask me how i know!!!:o

You are not wrong there.

I will probably modify the clamps at some point.

I bought this one because I wasn't sure how much use I would have for it nor if they were as good as they sounded. This was cheap enough to take a chance at to give me an idea if I would upgrade it or not. Blades aren't that cheap so I may get a better saw instead of a new blade.

Te one I have is only a little 205mm blade so a small cut. I did manage to cut 5" round pipe by pushing through behind the blade and then rotating the pipe as I slid the cutting head back into it without plunging.

We have 3 355mm Rage at work one for Ferous, one for Stainless and one for Ali, had them over 3 years now getting daily hard use and none are showing any averse signs of wear or breakage.:)

We get the blades sharpened and get about 6 to 8 resharpens out of each blade.:lol:

The green Fury one is now only a spare Ali saw as the the clamp can cope with Ali ok.:blink:

Thoughroughly recomend them and well worth the money!:D

Unless you are doing repetitive cuts in heavy metal you cannot beat a Sandvik hacksaw and blade . Excercise, peace and quiet and no mess. I dont' have room to have the saw permanantly set up. I just grab the angry grinder for heavy stuff........and cut outside. The feckers are messy :angry:

Yep - another vote for the rage.

Have finally accepted thet the original blade is now blunt but its done very well so far. Awesome being able to cut anything squarely regardless of material.

You know when they're blunt because they no longer cut cold & start putting hot swarf out!

Got the same one in the shop, great bit of kit.

Rich