Learning To Use A Lathe ?

zim

Morning,

Ok, when i was a youngster i grew up in my parents factory where they had lathes etc etc etc... But that was years ago, and all that left behind.

I don't have a scooby do on how to use a lathe ! But would like to learn. So..... does anybody in the North West have any suggestions on where you can do part time / night lessons at a college / school ??? I work 3 week shifts away from home.

Secondly... being a stubborn git, i'd like to buy a little lathe that i can bugger around with myself. What would you suggest I look at ? I'm limited to single phase electrics. Say £500 - £800.

Thoughts so far - ML7, super 7, boxfords ?

Cheers

Gordon

If you can pick a super 7 up for your price range than go for that.

Ive got a super 7 in the home workshop and its honestly the nicest lathe ive ever used, abit small for some projects but otherwise perfect.

Got a larger Emco maximat super 11 at the main workshop which whilst its a very nice machine, the tool post securing bolt has already snapped and the high gear now has a habit of jumping out when in use, im sticking with Myford from now on.

Rich

I use a Myford ML7 dont really have the room for any thing else.

but i would go as big as you can.

never had any training I just try and read up on techniques from internet first and then have a go.. some times it shows when I mess up some thing that I have been machining/turning for hours.... but then thats all part of the fun :)

wouldn't be with out one now.

I use my lathe for doing this sort of thing...

post-1650-0-65550800-1295352053_thumb.jpg

post-1650-0-41153400-1295352101_thumb.jpg

post-1650-0-12396200-1295352228_thumb.jpg

post-1650-0-19919500-1295352263_thumb.jpg

post-1650-0-94453700-1295352335_thumb.jpg

post-1650-0-19903100-1295352365_thumb.jpg

Whilst the Myford sevens are nice lathes, and there are plenty of parts, tools and books available about them they can be expensive compared to other options.

I have an ex college Viceroy which does the job nicely, for significantly less investment than a 7. Likewise the boxfords are pretty good machines. I'd take a close look at the machine though- some were well abused in schools and colleges, whilst others were hardly ever used.

If you have the space (and especially a 3 phase supply or invereter), I'd go for the biggest lathe you can fit- The bigger the lathe, the less desirable it is to model engineers, and conversley it should be relatively cheaper. Having something nice and solid can make a difference too. (That is unless you only ever want to turn very small things, but i'd guess that's not the case if you own a landrover :rolleyes: )

have a look here. (caution may make you lose 6-7 hours of your life) :)http://madmodder.net/index.php

and here for chinese machines, lathes and mills :Dhttp://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathes/Model-C3-Mini-Lathe/Model-Super-C3-Mini-Lathe

depends how big you want really. Some more of a similar make. good for learning on and most will run off a single phase within your budget.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/engineering-tools-and-machinery-dept206818_pg1/

http://www.chesteruk.net/on-line_shop.htm

Pete

THE on line resource for small machine tools is www.lathes.co.uk. Well worth a read if you find something which you think you might want to buy and need more information about before you take the plunge.

The Myfords are over-rated which means you pay a premium for the name. I have an Emco Maximat which is a better tool IMO - it's not much bigger than a Myford 7 but it's heavier and more rigid and if you get one with the milling attachment then milling operations which are possible, but tricker, on the lathe become much more straightforward. There's one on e-bay at the moment. It does not have the milling head so I'd personally recommend that you hold out for one that does, but you may learn a bit about prices by watching it. The milling heads do come up separately very occasionally (that's how I got mine) but they are pretty rare.

I'd be tempted to buy it myself for the accessories ( I want a face plate and steady + travelling rests for mine) and then sell the lathe on, but it's at the wrong end of the country for me.

Nick.

Avoid chinese lathes, no matter how tempting just aint good. Myford are quite expensive, but when in good order are one of the most accurate lathes money can buy. Boxford are a excellent small machine as well.

Experimenting on a small machine is very good for learning as liberties cannot be taken so setups have to be done correctly,low power means correct tool grinding etc is vital.

I still have a Myford at my works for small jobs though having lathes with 30hp main drives has made me a bit too impatient to use it for anything over a inch in diameter!

I agree - quality over chinese.

Then you are learning to use a lathe rather than learning to cope with it's shortcomings.

Myfords are lovely - but a little over priced. If you have space, a Boxford, Harrison M250 or Colchester is usually about the same cost as a Super 7 in similar condition - but will do much more! My CNC Lathe is based on a Colchester and does everything I need!

3 Phase is usually cheaper - even if you factor in a 3 phase converter (Buy a solid state 3 phase inverter / VFD rather than a static or Rotary converter).

In terms of learning - invent a project for yourself. Something like making a handle for a cupboard door and keep practicing until it looks like what you want. Books are all very well - but practice is better.

Set the speed about half way between the minimum and maximum for the lathe (1200rpm ish) and start off gently taking shallow cuts (about 10 thou or 0.25mm). Try increasing and decreasing the speed you turn the handle, the depth of the cut and the chuck speed to see the effect. Try adding lubrication (even just spraying WD40) to see the effect.

As it is cutting you will feel some resistance as you turn the Z axis handle. You will get a feel for what is a good amount of resistance.

It's good fun and more worthwhile than almost anything but welding - but you really need to find out for yourself and just ask questions when you get stuck. Feel free to PM if you need help!

Si