flipping disco steels!

RoaryV8

i saw either mods or wellers the wrong way round on a 90 once on a laning trip i never did get to ask him if it was straight fit on or if there was something that needed doin maybe retaper the bolt holes??

People certainly are tight these days. Modifying and then using a wheel in a manner for which it was not designed isn't a good idea in my view.

Just buy some wheels with the correct off-set, or have the centres flipped in the Disco steels, but have it done by a reputable company with the expertise and equipment to do it properly.

For a wheel that is £40 new, is it really worth the hassle?

http://www.formula4.co.uk/land_rover_defender_90_accessories_silver_modular_steel_wheel_16x7.html

It also gives you better choice of rim width, for wider tyres. 6.5" or 7" (which is what I think Disco ones are) are pretty narrow for anything over 235.

You haven't said whether you want to use these on or off-road. For road use, don't even think about flipping. Your insurers would be very unhappy if you were involved in a crash with modified wheels on your truck.

If you are thinking about this due to the need to change the wheel offset, there are plenty of companies supplying wheel spacers for that exact purpose.

Bear in mind that 8-spoke or modular wheels already stick out further than a Disco steel. At 7" they are the same actual rim width as the Disco wheel, and so are most LR alloys that fit directly to a Defender axle.

As Bowie69 has said, new wheels are around the £40 mark each. Yes, Disco wheels can be picked up for very cheap, but it'll cost you more by the time you have found someone who knows what they're doing removing the centres and flipping them round in the correct fashion, but they still won't be road legal.

I have read in the past of what is called wheel 'banding'. In the custom car world this practice used to be used to widen rims (weld in a steel band) to fit extra wide tyres. There were a few companies doing this, but I think they have largely disappeared due to the legal implications.

I flipped some 8 spokes today in order to try and get some more steering lock. It was embarressing with 14" wide boggers :lol:

But they're a bit too far out now i think.... will have a test on sunday.

G

Just out of interest, what makes the 'flipped' wheels not road legal...??? the fact that they've been modified..??? i bet there isn;t a single land rover owner on this forum that hasn't modified something on thier truck,..... does that make them all not road legal...??? if it's a 'modified wheel' issue, what about people that fit bead lockers, are they not legal...?? i know a few trucks that have mot's with them on....... not trying to str=art an argument, just hoping for some clarification iof the actual facts!

Pass me a can opener, got a can of worms to open...

Its the fact that the wheel has been modified. I think that strictly speaking beadlocks aren't legal on the road.

MOT does not mean the truck is fully legal...perfect example is trucks with retrofitted HID's without all the leveling etc. Not legal, but not an MOT fail.

I should add, i am in no way doubting the build quality of mach 5's, i'd love a set, but my zero offset modulars are the best wheel for my use and application...... so not gonna flip disco rims either, i wonder if there is some sort of test that the wheels undergo to ensure their strength and suitability for use on a vehicle such as a land rover, and when i say that, i mean a UK test, not tuv or something like that.....

i think there are 2 different things in this - cutting the centre out and rewelding it and the legality if doing so, and just running them reversed.

rewelding the centers is extremely dodgey from a legal point of view. Plus getting it done right would be difficult and expensive.

Running them backwards.

I dont actually see any legal issues with this, as you are not modifying the wheel or anything like that. Couple of things to consider though, the valves may hit the calliper so you would have to fit some of those very slim short valves (or weld them up and drill new ones, but that would fall into the above legal category confusion). Also the issue of the raise bevel to seat the nuts squarely on the rim and to stop them working loose. This is an issue that some twin rear wheeled trucks overcome - such as ldv which use 2 identical wheels on each side of the back axle and just have them reversed - by using a wheel washer bevel to 'create' the bevel on either side of a flat wheel centre. A simple google search comes up with loads.

I cannot see how using a wheel washer bevel is illegal and using some super tight fitting valves to negate the calliper clearance issue would probably mean you could do it cheaply and legally.

You'd have a mega offset though!

i think there are 2 different things in this - cutting the centre out and rewelding it and the legality if doing so, and just running them reversed.

rewelding the centers is extremely dodgey from a legal point of view. Plus getting it done right would be difficult and expensive.

Running them backwards.

I dont actually see any legal issues with this, as you are not modifying the wheel or anything like that. Couple of things to consider though, the valves may hit the calliper so you would have to fit some of those very slim short valves (or weld them up and drill new ones, but that would fall into the above legal category confusion). Also the issue of the raise bevel to seat the nuts squarely on the rim and to stop them working loose. This is an issue that some twin rear wheeled trucks overcome - such as ldv which use 2 identical wheels on each side of the back axle and just have them reversed - by using a wheel washer bevel to 'create' the bevel on either side of a flat wheel centre. A simple google search comes up with loads.

I cannot see how using a wheel washer bevel is illegal and using some super tight fitting valves to negate the calliper clearance issue would probably mean you could do it cheaply and legally.

You'd have a mega offset though!

By running them backwards, are you not then into the dodgy ground of using something in a way that's not intended/rated for?