First Help!!! Post

DEANO3528

Tried this one on several boards but never received much input.

Is there a cheaper alternative to LR sunroof seals?

Sure I read somewhere that Pug are the same, but checking my glass against the roof on my boys 106 shows a marked difference in size (pug is larger).

Comments please as I really like things to work when they are fitted rather than being permanently siliconed over. :angry:

TIA

I definitely read that it was the 106 sunroof seal. Let me know how you get on because I can't continue pulling the boot floor soundproofing up every month to give it time to dry out. I was thinking of replacing the rear sunroof seal with the pug one instead of the 2 litres of silicone grease which are currently doing the job.

I too heard that pug seal fits.

What you might be able to do is to fit a wire all the way round between sunroof seal and frame. This will lift the rubber up, making it tighter fit to the glass. Other way to make it more water tight is to clean the rubber and glass then apply some talcum powder to rubber. Talcum powder [or the stuff you get in bicycle puncture repair kit] will prevent rubber to stick to glass and damaging it further [never tried this one but it supposed to work] Greg.

I too heard that pug seal fits.

What you might be able to do is to fit a wire all the way round between sunroof seal and frame. This will lift the rubber up, making it tighter fit to the glass. Other way to make it more water tight is to clean the rubber and glass then apply some talcum powder to rubber. Talcum powder [or the stuff you get in bicycle puncture repair kit] will prevent rubber to stick to glass and damaging it further [never tried this one but it supposed to work] Greg.

french chalk is the stuff in puncture repair kits IIRC

Yes Tony it is french chalk.

Nice offer Western, I'll be in touch shortly.

It seems that the glass is a different profile to the roof, meaning that it's high in the centre and low at the edges. That can't help things as it compresses the corners below roof level and leaves the centre proud. :( Also the plasticky mechanism doesn't seem to want to tighten as well as an overcentre mechanism might. Tried a bit of reconditioning with vaseline but I think it would only work on a new item. I have used string or rope in the past to help a seal work, but there isn't any way of keeping it in place in this case.

I have used string or rope in the past to help a seal work, but there isn't any way of keeping it in place in this case.

Could you not glue the string in few places with evostick? I know sunroof seal has very small lip but glueing it in might just help to keep it there.

french chalk is the stuff in puncture repair kits IIRC

Thanks for name info. Greg

Sorry all, been busy doing stuff for our club newsletter and forgot all about this line of enquiry.

£9 seems a lot cheaper than was quoted on the old post where pug seals were first mentioned.

Sorry too, to Western for not sorting out the offer of a seal. It would seem that the seal will be too big as my panels are only 14¼" back to front.

At 9 quid I think I might as well buy a pair of new ones. Again thanks for the offer. I'll have to check how to fit them, I think White90 posted instructions a while back.

Cheers all.

• 5 years later...

remove the roof lining, undo the sandwhich plates on the sunroof make sure you remove all traces of the old seals then sikaflex ( marine grade polyurathane ) the sunroof fairly liberally. place back on roof, re-tighten the sandwhich plate on the sunroof then with tissue and wd40 or similar, remove the squished out sikaflex so it does not dry on you paint work. you will never have to do the job again, ever...

you will need a silicon gun for the job too, and i said liberally, but you dont need that much to do both sun roof seals, one tube will easily be enough. and you can use the rest sealing anything else you might fancy on the landy.

richard