steering problem - twisted box shaft?

TobyMellin

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on a steering problem I have.

I did a pay & play day last sunday which was great.

When I set off to drive home, I noticed straight away that my steering wheel was further around clockwise than it was before. I stopped to see if anything was loose underneath & checked the column shaft - all ok.

I have full lock both ways, everything is tight and the car feels normal to drive. The only difference is that the steering wheel is 20 degrees or so around to the right than it was before.

Another thing worth noting is that i damaged the near side front wheel rim lip on a rock (not a huge impact).

The car is a 1990 discovery with sumo bars & damper relocation fitted. New steering box drop arm was fitted at the same time as the sumo bars (to convert to track rod instead of ball jointed drop arm).

As in the title, I fear that the steering box shaft could be twisted.

Any help, info or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Im sorry but ignoring it is the worst piece of advise i think i've ever heard! this is your connection to your steering! if it fails at speed you DIE or some other innocent party dies. Fix it. It will not magically twist back to how it was before - it will get worse until it breaks. i know from experience. If this is a continual problem then perhaps hydrassist type steering may help.

Steve

post-10794-0-88707900-1296722332_thumb.jpg

It's worth checking the simple things first before assuming the steering box is damaged.

Even with Sumo Bars, could the the tracking have been knocked out?

Also check the new drop arm is secure on the tapered splines of the steering shaft - could it have 'settled' and then been knocked round a spline or two? I've had this happen to me with a RRC where the nut wasn't fully torqued.

Although they twist quite easily they rarely break.

Twisting (but not breaking) a shaft is one thing. Using a known defective component on a road going vehicle carries some responsibility.

I'd say that it's a possibility that the drop arm has moved yes.

I will try to remove and refit this after work tonight.

Is there any way I can inspect the box shaft while the arm is off? Or is the part that can twist enclosed within the box?

Many thanks for the help.

If main shaft has twisted then you cant really see it...

I think that its unlikely to break on the road... but if you pay and play and then its much more likely to break as is the rest of the box. I always make sure i have one spare to throw on :)

and steve you did need you to drive over logs to break your steering box.....

post-1650-0-50196600-1296724032_thumb.jpg

If main shaft has twisted then you cant really see it...

I think that its unlikely to break on the road... but if you pay and play and then its much more likely to break as is the rest of the box. I always make sure i have one spare to throw on :)

and steve you did need you to drive over logs to break your steering box.....

post-1650-0-50196600-1296724032_thumb.jpg

I agree, i did actually twist mine on the trophy cevenol originally and am guilty of continuing to drive the vehicle. But it frightens me to think i drove that car at speeds on public highways not really knowing what damage could have been on the shaft.

It did break remarkably easily on those logs though really.

That pic makes me want to go back to Romania badly :(

Steve

I think it must be a twisted shaft to be honest because I checked that the drop arm nut was tight the night before, and it still is now.

Where's best to get a new/re-con box from?

I was planning to go with hydro assist in the future, but need to check how it'd fit onto my sumo bar damper bracket. Plus, another big dent in the wallet :(

Thanks.

Already checked the bars. As above, they're sumo bars, I very much doubt that I could bend one.

Plus, if I bent the front bar, that'd make the near side wheel toe in, which would mean that the steering wheel would need to be rotated anti-clockwise to correct it.

Having problems speaking to Adwest, emails bounce back and they don't answer the phone. I've left a message but haven't had a call back.

Spotted this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230580493082&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Only problem is that I need a straight drop arm one for TRE fitment. He only has ones fitted with ball joint drop arms in stock. He lists boxes without drop arms but says he doesn't have stock of them.

Last thing I want is having to press off the drop arm on a brand new box.

Also, does that look a good price?