Gwyn Lewis Prop Shafts

Hi all,

I've ordered some Gwyn Lewis GKN props for my 200tdi. I don't have a lift and did mention this to Gywn on friday when I placed the order. However, he was very busy getting ready for a show and it might not have registered with him.

I am having a sudden panic (and it's all Anderzander's fault thanks to this post ;) ) that they won't fit my truck because it does not have a lift.

I've ordered the GL 685-30 and GL 667-30

Please can someone give me some reassurance that they will fit and I've not wasted the best part of £400!!

Many thanks,

John

I bought them from Mudmuncher on here - I've gone back to him and he's said the wide angle props are all for lifted vehicles ..... which isn't quite right of course as the wide angle is used for more than accommodating a lift.

However though - it points to him having bought them as an off the shelf item rather than as a custom made prop.

I'm not quite sure what to do now - I had half thought MM might offer to take them back with them not seeming to be the fitment I'd bought them under. He said sell them on here - and I have put an add on. I'm also thinking now that perhaps I should send it to the prop clinic and have it shortened for £40.....

JJB when yours arrive would you measure yours please?

OK, got me props, got me grease gun and grease, got me tools.

Is there anything I need to know before replacing my props with my new ones? Any steps I need to follow or do I just undo the old ones and put the new ones on?

Should the handbrake be off? I take it there's no need to have the truck on axle stands?

Many thanks

John

thanks for the help guys, I've just finished and it took me nearly 6 hours!!!

I really need a propshaft tool as I had a nightmare removing all the bolts and then tightening them up again.

I took it for a very gentle drive round the block and it feels good, I think I've done it right as neither prop fell off :lol:

Just a word of praise for Gwyn Lewis: I sent him a text earlier before posting on here asking which way round the props went (how embarrassing! :blush: ) I explained that I was the mechanical equivalent of the village idiot and most people would probably not have entertained a fool like me. But by the time I had posted my question on here Gwyn had text me back to say "shortest part nearest the gearbox". What a top chap! I'm delighted with not only the product but the customer service. I know where I'll be buying my suspension from! Thanks Gwyn :)

I'm ordering some new nuts and bolts tomorrow and will replace them asap. I rounded a few nuts while fighting with them and I'm not convinced that I've managed to get them tight enough. Still, another box ticked and another job done (albeit a very simple one by most peoples standards).

Cheers for all the tips and advice folks, I love this place!

John