Defender Interior Lighting

Does anyone have any cool ideas for lighting the interior of a defender? Pics would be a bonus.

Ive been thinking about LED lighting. Im just mulling through ideas just now before i get to the stage of running cabling on my 110 build.

I fitted LED strip light into mine made a great difference I did post it on here somewhere but can't find it will have to look again, when I connected them I realised that they would be very bright and actually have them as additional lights to the normal lights as not to kill my night vision when I didn't need the light.

Great mod, really cheap and made a big difference.

Jason.

EDIT: Just after I posted I found the post.... Linky

hiya,

I did the same as jason few months ago, with two half metre strips, it does light the back up but not enough, i think as with Jasons my headlining is black and that tends to kill some of the light? I think to be able to find something you will need at 2am in the pitch black its not enough? I think next Hong Kong order will be maybe 2 x 2 metre strips so it goes all the way round the rear roof line.

The LED scene has come on no end, b4 anyone tells me its illegal, I know, but I am in the process of changing my exterior lighting to LED, we have already done it to a mates truck (which passed an MOT with all except front lights changed to LED)and he has daylight 24/7, the only thing different I am awaiting to drop on my doorstep is hopefully a replacement of a 68 LED bulb for the spot lights, if that fits then whohooooo, i will have the power of the sun in an 8 inch lamp. To add to this I drive a 60 plate Astra and I still think other road users have brighter lights, so much so that I am wary of overtaking, it may be my eyesight but I have always had this?

I find it very annoying that the imports can sport these LED lamps as standard and dont really get to see what its like from behind when you have a BMW or Audi up your trumpet with no where to go.

Sharpy

I've been using these for about 2 years now http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Flexible-Strip-White-96cm-PVC-96-LED-NEON-LIGHT-12V-/350438810428?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5197c7e33c#ht_1766wt_1140

very cheap, very effective, some come with self adhesive tape. I have a strip along the top of the windscreen and one along the top of the centre softtop rail (tasteless blue). Tons of light. Also a 24cm strip fits perfectly into the small recess in the passenger side dash.

Just be warned the connection wires are very thin.

post-3730-0-19384400-1299114554_thumb.jpg post-3730-0-62617800-1299114721_thumb.jpg

I installed some clear led ropelight from mr resistor website I think. 12v specific and just had it around the perimieter of the back of the hard top. As others have said, plenty bright enough and draw next to no current from the battery when youve got the engine turned off.

I used some self adhesive white LED strip from maplins, did two 50cm sections in the back and one about 30cm in the front, they use sod all power too so can be left on for long periods without killing your battery, i think with all mine on it uses about 3w!

they're lovely and bright and were fantastic last time we went travelling.

I'll take some pics later and post them if you like?

• Like 1

I used some self adhesive white LED strip from maplins, did two 50cm sections in the back and one about 30cm in the front, they use sod all power too so can be left on for long periods without killing your battery, i think with all mine on it uses about 3w!

they're lovely and bright and were fantastic last time we went travelling.

I'll take some pics later and post them if you like?

Yea that would be great thanks. More pics and ideas the better. Keep em coming.

Phil

I fitted a couple of swivel pods with LEDs to the doors, as I never refitted the courtesy light to the truck cab.

Also a map light on the dash but it only works when the ignition is "ON".

perhaps someone can sort me out

when the last owner welded in a new door pillar they welded the courtesy light switch into a blob then plated the hole..

my current interior light is US and i have a couple of stick on battery led lights instead

now looking to get permanent lights again so can i take live cable and earth from existing unit to new lights?

and if so which is the permanent earth

thanks

Here's what i installed, the rear has two 50cm lengths, and the front is about 30cm, the front is on a seperate switch from the rear and both are on a seperate circuit than the door opening latches so that we can have them on when we like.

they're plenty bright enough and use very little power.

we don't have a headlining so they're stuck to the central roof spine and the wire run through that.

med_gallery_16965_1052_115666.jpg

apologies for the messiness, we had our three german shepherds in earlier...

Going off in a slightly different direction from bright lights for when you're stopped, if you do lots of driving in the dark a pair of small (say 3mm or 5mm) standard (not hyperbright or ultrabright) orange LEDs up in the roof over the driver/front passenger give a surprisingly useful amount of light for when you're driving and don't effect your night vision. I'll be putting a pair in when/if I ever get around to fitting a roof console.

Andy.

In the Disco I simplpy replaced the front bulb with a red LED bulb, and the second

row seats and boot area lights with superbright white LEDs. Much better light. I may

also fit a white LED strip in the boot area later.

question for all the experts, i have a 1991 90 and my central light is only switched on by the doors or would be if the door switches weren't welded into the door jalm :blink:.

Like the idea of a strip of leds instead and thought about using existing supply in headlining and putting switched unit up there.

So question which is the perm feed and which is the switched wire, then can i take the perm feed to one input and the earth the other side?

sorry probably dead simple but my training is in metallurgy not electrics

thanks to all

The door switches are on the ground side of the light circuit, and the + side is permanently 'live' fed from a fused circuit which is not switched by the ignition. All you need to do to have a roof light with its own switch is to connect the -ve input to the light direct to a ground connection (i.e. one of the mounting screws for the light) and connect the +ve input to the unswitched feed (should be a plain purple wire) via the switch.

The switched ground should be purple with a blue stripe, but looking at the (not very clear) wiring diagram I have for a 200tdi, I have a suspicion that Landrover have run the purple/blue wire only as far as a male/female bullet pair which is located behind the headlining above the driver's side sun visor and the ground wire which runs from this bullet pair to the interior light is actually black.

Bear in mind that door-switched interior lights were only an option on this age of vehicle and the alternative system is for the interior lights to be switched by the same switch as controls the instrument lighting (one of the three in the panel above the driver's right knee, below and to the right of the steering wheel). In this configuration, the switched wire is on the +ve side and is coloured purple/white, with the ground connection to the light being made via its mounting screws. The door switch wiring is fitted since it's part of the standard loom, but it's taped up to other parts of the loom in the engine bay instead of being inserted into the bulkhead. If you have the door switches fitted, however, this won't apply to you.

Nick.

• 3 years later...

Dead thread resurrection!!!

XKGlow do lighting strips for chav-undercar lighting, I have got a 3-foot strip along each side of the tub, and one-foot strips under front seats and in footwells, wired into courtesy light, defo does the trick, in blue so not dazzling!