Fog Light is still Eluding me...

Really struggling with getting the fog light working again, and I need help.

Firstly a bit about the system:

• Standard 1984 system
    Td5 fuse box
    NAS style fog light.

What I've done:

• Replaced bulb holder and tail as wire/connector was broken
    Rebuilt fog switch as it wasnt working, now known to be working.

Voltage... with headlights on and fog switch on

• No voltage at the bulb
    No voltage at the switch
    12v at the fuse

Where do I look next?

I'm thinking about Stripping and rebuilding the headlight switch like i did with the fog light switch. But other than that...I have no idea what to look for next.

If anyone lives near here and fancies working for beer/pizza/hobknobs/return of work please volunteer!

Thanks in advance (for reading this far and hopefully having something that might help!)

Ross,

Have you checked the relay?

If you can't sort it by the weekend let me know if you want to pop over this way I will sort it out for you.

Jason.

wonder if it will bearing in mind the age... Where abouts will it sit in the circuit Jason?

I would think your would be under the fuses in the middle, as you don't have anything under the drivers seat, I would expect the circuit to go:

Fuse

Relay

fog light

The switched live for the relay should come from the headlight live to the fog light switch and then to the relay the warning light should be in this circuit also but may be a second connector on the switch.

Jason.

Ross,

On a vehicle the age of yours, power runs from the fuse to the switch, so you have a break in the circuit between these two points.

Get a piece of wire and run a temporary supply from the fuse to the switch. That should make your foglight work. If it does, you've found the problem :)

Mo

If it's a NAS style fog light then the connection on the back could be faulty. I know both of mine are a bit dodgy as the bulb holder is of the poorest quality, I'm thinking of modifying mine and fitting a more substancial bulb holder. Have a go at wigglying the connector, it may work, could just be a dodgy connection.

Steve

Ross,On a vehicle the age of yours, power runs from the fuse to the switch, so you have a break in the circuit between these two points. Get a piece of wire and run a temporary supply from the fuse to the switch. That should make your foglight work. If it does, you've found the problem :)Mo

I'mm give that a try Mo. Only thing will be getting to the back of the fuse, I cant think of any way I can get wire in?

FWIW, I think the fog relay is behind the instrument panel. not by the fuse box.

I'll have a look later :)

If it's a NAS style fog light then the connection on the back could be faulty. I know both of mine are a bit dodgy as the bulb holder is of the poorest quality, I'm thinking of modifying mine and fitting a more substancial bulb holder. Have a go at wigglying the connector, it may work, could just be a dodgy connection.Steve

I've replaced the bulbholder and the plug, so they are OK. Anyway, there still isnt any voltage there.

Thanks All :)

For a temporary test, I'd take the fuse out, push your wire in the output side of the fuseholder and then put the fuse back in to hold it in place. Take the earth off the battery first though :) It's only just to prove that there is a connection problem twixt fuse and switch.

If the rest of the circuit is good, then you should have a fog light.

Your next step if it works, is then to simply run a new wire between the two. Cut the old wires and solder in your replacement.

HTH

Mo

Ross,

Do you have a 12v checker? (Screwdriver type thing with buld and earth clip) When i was having problems with my fog light i ended up using that to check what was wrong.

Ended up finding that the fuse had blown right by the cap, and didn't work. I also had to sort out other connections behind the binnacle with my td5 upgrade at the same time.

(on another note...when's the newbury sort out?)