The Joys of Megasquirt

Manxey

It all started about 7 months and 1 week ago, when i spoke to Nige and ordered a full MS kit and wiring kit, a week later everything arrived in a nice little box, so i opened it and my immediate thought was Oh Sh*te, what on earth is all this! All that was to be seen was bundles and bundles of wires, connectors and whatchamacallits! And being fairly useless with electrics, i packed it all back up again and put the box in the shed, then after six months of procrastinating i unpacked it all, and found the wiring diagrams on the cd a GOD SEND! All colour coded and everything! I soon realised how stupid id been and that its just a case of running wires back to the ecu once you've decided where everything goes, all the wires are helpfully cable tied together in coils of same sized wire and once they were run they can be tied in place and loom taped up -- The kit come with literally EVERYTHING you need. The fiddliest bit is soldering the cables into the ecu, i had great difficulty getting the wires to stick to the plug provided, but i found dipping the end of each wire into some flux did the trick!

I started all this on Saturday, and by sunday afternoon i was ready to power up and map the ecu (basic Map comes with the kit).

So..... Time for the ol big fire up! Ignition on and the fuel pump runs... good start.. Turn the key, the engine cranks but no fire!! Bugger!!! After much faffing 3 coffees and 2 beers and several sit downs i decided to check the coil pack wiring... yup, id wired it back to front, so i swapped the spark plug leads flick the starter again and brmmm... The first flick of the starter and she roars into life!! BRILLIANT!!

I couldnt actually believe it worked, and was idling ALOT better than on the factory ignition system!!! So i rang Nige to tell him it was running to which he replied 'well what did you expect :P '

So i just want to say a big ol thank you to Nige (Hybrid From Hell), for putting together such a simple kit for MS'ing your V8. And if anyone has any doubts about how complicated megasquirt could be.. if i can do it, anyone can! Get it done!

Ive attached a couple of pictures of my 'yet to be tidied' install.

post-1410-0-29677600-1301599411_thumb.jpg

post-1410-0-33065200-1301599423_thumb.jpg

post-1410-0-77778300-1301599433_thumb.jpg

Manxey, well done biggrin.gif I hope you have a whole heap of fun with MS. I've noticed that you've mounted the coil packs on the the rocker cover and if you are clever and work out the wiring from EDIS to the 3 pin blugs you will have only 1 crossed HT lead and the 4 across the plenum would be straight and lovely, just like mine. tongue.gif

Jeff

Good job! I am literally on the brink of ordering my MS kit and am in the middle of doing some serious background reading.

I hope to join the MS gang soon :D

Thanks :D I ummmd and arrrd for ages, but i havent looked back, its well worth it :)

Manxey, well done biggrin.gif I hope you have a whole heap of fun with MS. I've noticed that you've mounted the coil packs on the the rocker cover and if you are clever and work out the wiring from EDIS to the 3 pin blugs you will have only 1 crossed HT lead and the 4 across the plenum would be straight and lovely, just like mine. tongue.gif

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Thats a good idea, when i get round to tidying the witches knitting up, i reckon that'll be something worth doing! Looks are everything doncha know :P

Good job Manxey. I've also got my kit from Nige. Just tinkering away bit by bit. Hopefully I'll get the same result as you. Well done

Thanks matey, How are you finding it? A bit daunting at first for me.. Im sure you will!

hmm i reconise that windscreen bar & front winch....

is that you john?

Hi Mike,

Yes, i thought you might! How are you?

Jon

Good job done, just wish my install was progressing so fast but I have other things to do to get the engine plumbed up first and other wiring.

I would be interested in more pics, especially of your air plumbing.

Also what size box did you use for the ECU and relays, etc and where did you get it from?

Thanks

Good job done, just wish my install was progressing so fast but I have other things to do to get the engine plumbed up first and other wiring.

I would be interested in more pics, especially of your air plumbing.

Also what size box did you use for the ECU and relays, etc and where did you get it from?

Thanks

No problem, what sort of pictures are you after? I haven't sorted the air intake yet, but it will be a very simple affair! :P

I cant remember the size of the box of the top of my head, but it is a standard waterproof electrical enclosure, i got mine from the local electrical factors.. But i see maplin and RS sell them too...

Jon

No problem, what sort of pictures are you after? I haven't sorted the air intake yet, but it will be a very simple affair! :P

I cant remember the size of the box of the top of my head, but it is a standard waterproof electrical enclosure, i got mine from the local electrical factors.. But i see maplin and RS sell them too...

Jon

Pictures of how you did the MAT sensor, as you have had it running I assumed you had that plumbed and wired in.

Also you second alternator bracket and alternator looks interesting (something else to do on my list).

Thanks

Pictures of how you did the MAT sensor, as you have had it running I assumed you had that plumbed and wired in.

Also you second alternator bracket and alternator looks interesting (something else to do on my list).

Thanks

The MAT sensor... well i wasnt sure how i was running the ducting to the plenum chamber, so i drilled and tapped the plenum chamber between the throttle position sensor and where the intake pipe clamps on... You have to make sure it will clear the butterfly if your putting it there!

You can see the MAT sensor on one of the photos below...

The second alternator mount.. i wish i could take the credit for it, but its a prototype mount from Gwyn lewis... its a nice piece of kit!

Jon

post-1410-0-20135700-1301832564_thumb.jpg

post-1410-0-96651200-1301832597_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...