Cause of destroyed turbo?

Well it was a Britpart filter and the latest batch they have comes with a washer loose in the bag. Got it out and took it to the garage, they're now fitting a new turbo for me.

Well that's a relief!

Well, I'm impressed that the garage have admitted liability with so little fuss. Anyone can make a mistake, and having loose washers in new filters is begging for trouble. Are you wiling to name the garage? The fact that they are fixing the damage so quickly is uncommon and suggests they take their customer service more seriously than most that I have experienced.

What basically happened was that I stopped by this morning with the photo from the first post and said this happened after your service. They were perplexed and although not trying to I got the impression they were going to wriggle out of it - the owner (not the chap who did the service) said to drop it around and they'd dig out the offending item and see where it came from.

When I got back there was a phone call from them (Blaenwaen Garage in Carmarthenshire) and they'd checked the batch of Britpart filters they'd had and there was, unlike previous filters, a washer inside the plastic cover rather than taped to the top of the filter as per usual. Rough size was correct so after photographing the entire process I removed the washer from the turbo and drove it slowly the few miles to the garage this afternoon. When I got there and showed the washer it was clear that it was the one from inside the filter and Lyndon the owner showed me the packaged filter it comes in.

So new turbo and will hopefully be back in a couple of days.

I'm still a little unsure of the garage but they seem to be OK, just need to stay on your toes with them. I suspect the guy who did the service is going to be in for a bit of a rough time but just grateful that it's no money out of my pocket. And yes it's a hell of an expensive mistake to make...

Fair play to the garage, and although they are admitting it's their fault, it puts them in a good light. A new Garrett turbo at trade price is going to be about £400, plus other minor items, plus labour.

If it was me - I would continue to use the garage.

Les.

Fair play to the garage, and although they are admitting it's their fault, it puts them in a good light. A new Garrett turbo at trade price is going to be about £400, plus other minor items, plus labour.

If it was me - I would continue to use the garage.

Les.

Well we'll see what comes back on it. They normally fit uprated components so fingers crossed they do the same this time although I have a feeling they may try and minimise cost.

It's a small garage that's family run and really only do Land Rovers so given the small community bad press wouldn't be good for business.

Well we'll see what comes back on it. They normally fit uprated components so fingers crossed they do the same this time although I have a feeling they may try and minimise cost.

It's a small garage that's family run and really only do Land Rovers so given the small community bad press wouldn't be good for business.

Fair play - good garages that don't dick about are worth supporting - I suspect that you will get great service the next time you go there.

just make sure that they take the intercooler off and give that and all the pipework a good clean out too - as there will probably be bits of shrapnel from the washer and turbine blades scattered about. Although to be honest, most of that would have gone through your engine by now as you have driven it a bit.

Hope there is no long lasting damage to valve seats etc.

good result either way, to an unexpected problem.

Nick